I'd been researching CMSs for a literary site that--for various reasons--needs to be up within the next several weeks. I've been holding off and waiting for 4.7 to come out until now, but I'm beginning to wonder if the beta might actually work for my needs until the final release is, well, released.

Essentially, all I absolutely require to launch is ability to post stories, some sort of taxonomy-based menu (so I suppose I'd be using the Categories module beta), and the Organic Groups functionality. So far I've got all of the above working on my test site.

Can anyone explain to me why I shouldn't simply take the plunge and launch with 4.7b4?

Let me stress that I'm not the most technical person in the world--I'm a 42-year-old writer and former web designer. I, in fact, intend to call my ISP's tech support just to make sure I set up my cron jobs correctly--that's how hopeless I am. In command-line 'nix, I can just barely manage to change directories, list files, and change permissions. I AM, however, eager and willing to learn.

Comments

canen’s picture

Best bet is to check the issues page and see if anything applies to your set up.

robhamm’s picture

Thank you very much. Excellent advice.

I should have mentioned that I had already looked there and hadn't seen much reason to not launch (providing I use the patches given for current issues). My bad.

I guess a lot of what I'm doing is looking for reassurance, and if I understand you correctly--you seem to be implying that if none of the issues on the issues page cause me alarm that I may as well launch with the beta--I am beginning to feel quite reassured.
:-)

Of course, I may go ahead and convert my webcomic site to 4.7 first (except for the main comic page) as an experiment first just to be safe, but over all, I'm feeling pretty good about this.

Rob Hamm
http://www.bluecrashkit.com