The Quick Tabs module allows you to create blocks of tabbed content, specifically views, blocks, nodes* and other quicktabs*. You can create a block on your site containing multiple tabs with corresponding content. Clicking on the tabs makes the corresponding content display instantly, using jQuery. With the 6.x-2.x branch, this can be done in either ajax or non-ajax mode:
- if you choose ajax mode for your Quick Tabs block (and this is chosen on an individual QT basis), only the content of the active tab will be loaded on page load and the content of the other tabs will be loaded via ajax on tab click (this is good for performance if you are loading, for example, several large views)
- in non-ajax mode the tab content is just hidden / shown on tab-click. This latter method is an ideal way to do something like the Most Popular / Most Emailed stories tabs you see on many news websites, where it is used more as a space-saving device in your sidebar. If however, you want a QT block as the main content of your entire page, then the chances are that ajax mode will be more appropriate.
Once created, the Quick Tabs blocks show up in your block listing, ready to be configured and enabled like other blocks. Multiple Quick Tabs blocks can be placed on a single page.
For theming of the tabs, several styles have been provided for you to choose from (in the 7.x-3.x branch this functionality comes in a separate submodule, Quicktabs Tabstyles), along with the default option of no style, if you prefer to add your own theming instead.
Upgrading from 6.x-2.x to 6.x-3.x
The 3.x branch of Quicktabs introduces ctools-based exportability of Quicktabs instances. This meant changing from serial IDs to machine names, and so upgrading an existing site from the 6.x-2.x branch to the 6.x-3.x branch means generating machine names for any existing instances. However, since block placements for Quicktabs blocks went originally by the qtid, any block placements will have to be redone. It is highly recommended that before you upgrade your site to use the 3.x version of Quicktabs you make a note of your Quicktabs block placements so that you can redo them after the upgrade. Also note that if you have any instances of Quicktabs within Quicktabs (i.e. a Quicktabs instance as tab content in another Quicktabs instance), these are now selected by machine name and not qtid, so they will also need to be manually changed.
Notes on Drupal 7 versions
The 7.x-2.x branch provides the same functionality as 6.x-2.x, with the exeption of the addition of ctools-based exportability. It was created as a bridge release while the 3.x branch was still being written. The latter represents a complete overhaul of the API and provides some additional functionality, most notably the choice between rendering a set of tabs as classic Quicktabs, as jQuery UI Tabs or as a jQuery Accordion widget. New features will be added only to the 3.x branch.
Note on robots.txt
- Maintenance status: Seeking co-maintainer(s)
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Content Display
- Reported installs: 85,327 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 512,254
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: December 2, 2014
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.