Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
Last updated January 16, 2014.
Note: This is an adaptation of http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/quickstart to
demonstrate the use of Git now that it has replaced the previous CVS system. If you can help improve this document, please do so.
This is a collection of external Git resources and related links for further reference.
These links may be considered definitive primary sources on Git.
- Git Community Book [GitHub repo] - The official Git online book.
- Pro Git [GitHub repo] - Full-text, online version of the Pro Git book, written by Scott Chacon. Lots of helpful diagrams, excellent for visual learners.
- learn.github - Tutorials at multiple levels from the popular online Git repository host.
These links include additional general-purpose sources with comprehensive coverage.
- Understanding Git Conceptually - A very well written guide on the fundamentals of Git. It is nigh impossible to understand git without this guide.
- Git Ready - Great tutorial material that is very accessible.
- "Change Management and Version Control" video series from Build a Module.com - Thorough video tutorials of using Git to manage a Drupal workflow.
- Git Immersion - Accessible tutorials
- Gitcasts - Screencast tutorials of various git features
- Git Reference - A quick reference for learning and remembering the most important and commonly used Git commands.
- Git Magic [GitHub repo] - An excellent, short tutorial on using Git, covering both basic and more advanced commands in a simple and useful way.
- Definitive practical guide - A fairly comprehensive outline of links on Stackoverflow.com.
- Git-svn - An introduction to git-svn for Subversion/SVK users and deserters.
- List of documentation resources at kernel.org wiki.
- Three videos at git-scm.com.
- An article on "best practices" of Git workflows. Uses clear graphic diagrams to show how Git's branch/merge workflow can be used more effectively. Written for experienced coders, this article is also helps novices who have never used a VCS understand what all the fuss is about.
- Git autocompletion and enhanced bash prompt. Useful tips on how to get more productive with git on the command line: shows what branch you are in, in which state you are, and autocompletes branches and tags.
- A successful branching model.Good reference dealing with branching and merging branches.
Drupal-related internal links
- Evaluation discussion moving off of CVS - from the original IRC smackdown discussion.
- Git for Drupal - advantages for shifting Drupal.org over to Git.
- Git wat? thread - listserv discussion questions and answers.
- Manage core and project repositories - how to manage repositories.
- Aegir and Git workflow - nice discussion of Aegir advanced development tools.
- Links to other guides - general links
- Workflow - Git workflow
- Git for SVN people - Git comparison
- Git GUI like tortoiseSVN - Git tools.
- CVS comparison and flamefest - Git comparison
- Database versioning - Git with databases.
- Database scripts - Git with databases.
- Getting Dev and Live Sites in Sync - Git workflow.
- WU7: Version Control API and family changes.
- Drupal discussion.
- Drupal Git mirror (experimental) - This is for testing only.
- Presentation - Presentation proposal.
- Git bootcamp webinar.
External, online resources to help with Git.