Has there been any talk of developing a Project Management Module? I have been looking at a few of the other open source project management applications. 1) There are lots of stuff that overlaps with other content management issues, so it would be better if I didn't have to use a seperate system for project management 2) These systems also seem to be very modular, and I have noticed that a few components that would be required for this type of site somewhat exist for Drupal already, but nothing to tie a bunch of it together.
Below are some ideas of what I think would need to be there for a project management type interface to work
1) Contacts Directory - Clients/Vendors/Sub Contractors - linked to projects and tasks
2) Define/Manage Projects which is mainly a list of tasks & phases/stages, but those tasks can have sub-tasks (tasks might also need to have categories)
3) Ghant Charts as a very basic or some sort of time-line display
4) Assigning Tasks to people
5) Simple reporting on status of tasks by various criteria
6) Publicly Viewable Page(s) - A place for posting publicly viewable description/status of project
7) Issue/Ticket Tracking system for problems
8) Shared Files Management
10) Discussion Forum for each Project - might need categories within each project if big enough (this should also be tied to a mailing list)
11) Basic Budgeting/Accounting?
1) Project Gallery for pictures
1) integration with CRM functionality (probably civiCRM) which should also add lots of advanced communication and tracking abilities
2) Extending Tasks to have dependecies and priorities - allowing for Critical Path planning
3) Resource Allocation / Management including advanced task delegation
4) Advanced Reporting - hopefully exporting to pdf would be nice
5) Advanced Shared Files Management with "checkout" and/or simple versioning
6) Time Tracking (Punch Card Type system for keepign track of hours worked on different projects)
7) Project Log of Activities
8) A wizard for helping to jump start the setup of a project and its various aspects - maybe a few project templates
9) Advanced budget/cost management - maybe include export/import/synch with outside data like Quickbooks
One of the things that really is needed to make this system work is some good ways of organizing/managing the priviledges for the various things. You obviously need a project leader/manager for each project. But there may be some other issues like having clients only access high-level outlines of the schedule or having people able to update tasks delegated to them but not others. I'm not sure if there has been any talk of integrating the various ad-hoc tweaks to the access control system into the core for the new version. Anyways, this is turning into a long post. What are everyone else's ideas and thoughts?