If I enable comment module and any node with comments is accessed a blank page is shown and following error appears in apache logs:

[Mon Feb 11 00:36:28 2008] [notice] child pid 5751 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Mon Feb 11 00:36:29 2008] [notice] child pid 14333 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Mon Feb 11 00:36:31 2008] [notice] child pid 5750 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Mon Feb 11 00:38:15 2008] [notice] child pid 30220 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Mon Feb 11 00:38:18 2008] [notice] child pid 30225 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Mon Feb 11 00:38:30 2008] [notice] child pid 14318 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

Disabling comment module serves the pages fine.

Since, comment is a core module this needs urgent attention !!


ambi’s picture

Somehow we are also experiencing this issue as of yesterday.

We are running Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) with Drupal 5.6, 2008-01-10, MySQL: 4.1.20, PHP 5.2.5.

Restarting apache solves the seg faults.

Seg faults occur on pages with commented blogs, as far as we can tell.

Any help will be appreciated!


deepesh’s picture

Restarting apache resolves the fault but does it re-occurs ?? also, this could be due to op-code accelerators as discussed here, pls. second my comment there to get a fast response - http://2bits.com/articles/php-op-code-caches-accelerators-a-must-for-a-l...

Shalini Agarwal,

ambi’s picture

We turned off e-accelerator and installed apc instead.
somehow all is well so far.


hintbw’s picture

We also had white pages on nodes with comments (as well as white pages on ec mail and the list of views - strangely enough). Restarting apache resolved the issue and we did have eaccelerator installed.

We are exploring the automatic detection and apache restart scripts that were highlighted above, as well as possibly switching accelerators.

Robin Duckett’s picture

Also getting this issue using XCache,

But happens randomly. Sometimes on the frontpage, sometimes on the Node admin pages. Restart of Apache always works.

I have updated to the latest version of all modules and core and going to wait and see if it breaks again.

plebe’s picture

Also getting this issue. running D5.12 sites with eAccelerator on PHP 5. Getting Segmentation faults. My host tech said there were no segmentation faults in the error log, then I looked myself and sure enough a few days ago, there are a ton of Segmentation faults. Makes you wonder about tech supp.

Restarting server fixes issue. I've disabled eAccelerator for now. I'm also going to update Drupal sites to 6.x. on a different server (same host) running eAccelerator and PHP 5.2.9 to see if this goes away.

I sure hope so. Thanks for those on this thread. I was about to be full-blown nut-job real soon here.