- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2014-017
- Project: Image Resize Filter (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x, 7.x
- Date: 2014-February-12
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Denial of Service (DOS)
This module enables you to resize images based on the HTML contents of a post. Images with specified height and width properties that differ from the original image result in a resized image being created.
The module doesn't limit the number of resized images per post or user, which could allow a user to post a large number of images that need to be resized within a single piece of content. This could cause the server to become overwhelmed by requests to resize images.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have a role that allows them to post content that utilizes the image resize filter.
CVE identifier(s) issued
- A CVE identifier will be requested, and added upon issuance, in accordance with Drupal Security Team processes.
- Image Resize Filter 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.14.
- Image Resize Filter 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.14.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Image Resize Filter module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Image Resize Filter module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Image Resize Filter 6.x-1.14
- If you use the Image Resize Filter module for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Image Resize Filter 7.x-1.14
Also see the Image Resize Filter project page.
- Greg Knaddison of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.
Follow the Drupal Security Team on Twitter at https://twitter.com/drupalsecurity