Give the gift of Drupal. All merchandise is 50% off through 2016.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2013-001
- Project: Search API (third-party module)
- Version: 7.x
- Date: 2013-January-09
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
This module enables you to build searches using a wide range of features, data sources and backends.
The module doesn't sufficiently sanitize user input when displaying errors in a view with certain backends, including the database backend. This enables attackers to create a Reflected Cross Site Scripting attack by manipulating the URL.
This is mitigated by the fact that the vulnerability only occurs with some backends (the Solr backend, e.g., is safe) and for certain common configurations of facets.
The module also doesn't sufficiently sanitize output field names in the admin view.
This is mitigated by the fact that an attacker would have to have the necessary permissions to change the field names of an indexed entity type.
CVE identifier(s) issued
- Search API 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.4.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Search API module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Search API module for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Search API 7.x-1.4
Also see the Search API project page.
- XSS in Views error messages was reported by Josh Stroschein.
- XSS in field names was reported by Francisco José Cruz Romanos.
- XSS in Views error messages was fixed by Lee Rowlands of the Drupal Security Team and Bojan Živanović.
- XSS in field names was fixed by Francisco José Cruz Romanos.
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.