Similarly to, it would be good to give some love to our permissions page, who has been surely feeling a bit alone.
Reasoning: the more content types, taxonomies and modules you have, the more you struggle exponentially while managing the permissions page, as it becomes slower and slower to load, and the browser uses up more and more resources.
Example, for a site with 10 content types, some taxonomies and a bunch of modules such as Revisioning, Panelizer, Node menu permissions, plus some others not particularly related to node, it might get out of hand to manage permissions.
Approaches for resolving this could involve one or more of a variety of methods:
- Vertical tabs with AJAX as done in and with Module Filter (7.x/6.x) and Faster Permissions Administration (7.x/6.x)
- Fieldsets as done with Better Permissions (6.x) and Fieldset Helper (7.x/6.x)
- Manage permissions by module in separate pages as done with Faster Permissions (7.x), Node Permissions Grid (7.x/6.x) and Permission Report (6.x)
The better approach being Vertical tabs as per functionality and usability, and also to maintain Drupal uniform.
Additionally, the following UI controls would be useful:
- Filtering and searching on the fly as done in , with Module Filter (7.x/6.x), Faster Permissions Administration (7.x/6.x) and Filter Permissions (7.x/6.x)
- Bulk changing permissions as done in and with Permissions API (6.x), Permission Select (7.x/6.x),
Check Heavy UI (6.x) and All Permissions (6.x)
Related modules (Permissions page):
Better Permissions (6.x) - turns permission groups into collapsible fieldsets
Faster Permissions Administration (7.x/6.x) - changes the permissions page to allow searching and filtering by permission, module and role
Filter Permissions (7.x/6.x) - changes the permissions page to allow filtering by module and role
Faster Permissions (7.x) - manage permissions by module in split pages (really useful)
Permission Report (6.x) - inspect any permissions by user and role
Node Permissions Grid (7.x/6.x) - inspect and manage node permissions
Permission Select (7.x/6.x) - check all permissions
Check Heavy UI (6.x) - check all permissions
All Permissions (6.x) - check all permissions
Permissions API - bulk change permissions (6.x) and API (6.x ported to 7.x core)
Related modules (Modules page):
Fieldset Helper (7.x/6.x) - turns module groups into collapsible fieldsets
Module Filter (7.x/6.x) - changes the modules page to allow searching/filtering and turns module groups into vertical tabs
maybe we are still in time yet to implement this!