Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-082
- Project: Zen (third-party theme)
- Version: 6.x
- Date: 2012-May-16
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
The Zen theme provides a configurable breadcrumb which is commonly used as an additional navigation tool for users.
The theme outputs the breadcrumb, but does not provide sufficient filtering to prevent a Cross site scripting (XSS) attack.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that the "Append the content title to the end of the breadcrumb" checkbox is not enabled by default and needs to be enabled for this to be exploited.
- Zen 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.1
Drupal core is not affected. Zen versions 6.x-2.x are not affected. If you do not use the contributed Zen theme, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Zen theme for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to theme 6.x-1.1 or any later version.
If you copied code from the zen_breadcrumb function into a custom sub-theme's template.php file you should compare your code to the changes to ensure that
menu_get_active_title() is properly wrapped in check plain like:
Also see the Zen project page.
- Dave Reid of the Drupal Security Team
- Peter Wolanin of the Drupal Security Team
- Greg Knaddison of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.