The Pathauto module creates automatic path aliases for content, users, and taxonomy terms, eliminating the need to create them manually. This way, your site is more user and search engine friendly, and more descriptive about its content with less work from your side.
The aliases are generated when you create an object in your site and are based upon the pathauto patterns (placeholders) you specify at:
- For 6.x: Administer > Site Building > URL aliases, in the "Automated alias settings" tab.
- For 7.x: Administer > Configuration > Search and Metadata > URL aliases, in the "Patterns" tab.
- Pattern tab provides several default patterns that automatically alias the different content types. Thanks to token module, the page URL can be set to be more reflective of its content (title, keywords,..)
- Settings tab allows to refine length and case, as well as defining if an alias is to be replaced or added to the list.
- Bulk update allow to generate path for unaliased content on-demand.
- Delete tab provides a way to delete large numbers of aliases.
You can also:
- file issues, read about known bugs, and download the latest version on the Pathauto project page.
- Pathauto screencast by DrupalTherapy.com (7.x-1.x)