Hello,

I'm translating to Spanish the documentation but I've noticed that the pages are not published.

I've merged some of the branches to 10.0.x as the main page says but it's not published.

https://www.drupal.org/project/user_guide/issues/2830984

How can I trigger the build?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

alvar0hurtad0 created an issue. See original summary.

eojthebrave’s picture

Right now this is a completely manual process and only happens when someone (usually me) pings someone at the DA (usually @drumm). Which, I can do now. :)

Long term there's been some work toward migrating all the content to Markdown, and a more streamlined build process. But that's stalled at the moment too. See #3470837: Decide on the future of the user guide

ressa’s picture

Thank you both of you for keeping the User guide updated and translated!

Perhaps a sentence could be added somewhere in the project page/docs, so that contributors knows what to do, to get their updates published? Or it could be a recurring half-yearly event, like "ping DA to rebuilt the User guide" in someone's calendar? :)

alvar0hurtad0’s picture

I can ping Fran García Linares every second month for that.

ressa’s picture

Thank you @alvar0hurtad0, that sounds wonderful!

eojthebrave’s picture

FWIW, it sounds like this might be too broken to work at the moment. I pinged Neil about this in Slack in the #documentation channel. He's the one who has helped me with these migrations in the past. And it sounds like the infrastructure that used to be used to run these migrations to Drupal.org nodes "didn't make the leap to the new infrastructure". So there's not a way to run them right now. And the overall the infrastructure is moving to documentation it is written in Markdown and built using Zensical, and then imported into d.o from those builds.

I get the sense that the asciidoc based import might just not ever get updated. Making this issue https://www.drupal.org/project/user_guide/issues/3470837 probably more important to sort out. I've asked for some guidance on how we can best help move things foward.

ressa’s picture

Thanks for the update @eojthebrave, and for working on the conversion to Zensical, using Markdown and Python, two of my favourites. It certainly seems very easy to use, and I could clone the MR and get the preview up and running in minutes, very impressive.

alvar0hurtad0’s picture

I don't know how can I help, to be honest.

Makes sense if I finish all the Spanish translations even thought are not published?

What can I do to push the new way of publishing forward?

eojthebrave’s picture

Yes, I think continuing to work on the Spanish translations makes the most sense right now. The migration to Markdown is scripted so in theory it'll be easy to pull in any changes you make to the asciidoc source while I continue work on that conversion.

At some point (I think we're actually probably pretty close) https://www.drupal.org/project/user_guide/issues/3470837 will get committed and from then on content will be in Markdown instead of asciidoc. And then at some point after that ... :fingers-crossed: we can get it importing onto Drupal.org again.

If being able to preview your work is holding you back, then it might make sense to wait until the Markdown conversion is completed as it'll be pretty easy at that point to build a static copy of the docs and navigate them locally.

alvar0hurtad0’s picture

OK, In that case. What's the best candidate to merge my translations 10.x or 11.x?

If 11.x them I think we should update the project page.

Thanks a lot for your support, BTW.

eojthebrave’s picture

I think 11.x is the best place to put new work right now. It's what will end up being the branch that gets converted to Markdown. Sorry about the confusion.

I've updated to the project page so point people toward the 11.x branch.

alvar0hurtad0’s picture

Status: Active » Fixed

Thanks, I think we can close this issue.

Now that this issue is closed, review the contribution record.

As a contributor, attribute any organization that helped you, or if you volunteered your own time.

Maintainers, credit people who helped resolve this issue.

Status: Fixed » Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed - issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.