This module makes it possible to import and export vocabularies and taxonomy terms via XML, CSV, RDF and other formats.
If you want to just import a flat list of terms, or terms structured in various columns to represent heirarchy, Taxonomy CSV offers a number of CSV-style formats and the ability to just paste the list straight in. Try that for simpler jobs. CSV support in taxonomy_xml is limited to a specific (ISO 2788 - triples) format
Work is currently being done in the Drupal 6 branch to extend support for remote services - online vocabulary, glossary, thesaurus and taxonomy resources - so libraries of structured terms can be imported directly.
Examples include taxonomy structures of:
- Hierarchical Countries and states
- The Dewey Decimal system
- Library of Congress classification scheme
- IPTC press topic catalog
- Encyclopedia of Life organism database
A goal is to get the taxonomy import/export to a point where a Drupal site can become a taxonomy server of its own, providing realtime vocabulary sharing.
Background on recent motivations that have moved this forward a bit.
Documentation distributed with the module includes:
- Information on the formats readable by taxonomy_xml - CSV, XML, RDF, TCS
- About the samples distributed with the package
- Notes from my study of alternative taxonomy notation schemas - The theory of taxonomy and uses in the real world
- About using services (remote taxonomy servers) as a source for taxonomy import
PHP4 is no longer supported in the dev branch. Old compatibility code is being removed. PHP4 just doesn't do XML very well.