Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
This module makes it possible to import and export vocabularies and taxonomy terms via XML, CSV, RDF and other formats.
If you want to just import a flat list of terms, or terms structured in various columns to represent heirarchy, Taxonomy CSV offers a number of CSV-style formats and the ability to just paste the list straight in. Try that for simpler jobs. CSV support in taxonomy_xml is limited to a specific (ISO 2788 - triples) format
Work is currently being done in the Drupal 6 branch to extend support for remote services - online vocabulary, glossary, thesaurus and taxonomy resources - so libraries of structured terms can be imported directly.
Examples include taxonomy structures of:
- Hierarchical Countries and states
- The Dewey Decimal system
- Library of Congress classification scheme
- IPTC press topic catalog
- Encyclopedia of Life organism database
A goal is to get the taxonomy import/export to a point where a Drupal site can become a taxonomy server of its own, providing realtime vocabulary sharing.
Background on recent motivations that have moved this forward a bit.
Documentation distributed with the module includes:
- Information on the formats readable by taxonomy_xml - CSV, XML, RDF, TCS
- About the samples distributed with the package
- Notes from my study of alternative taxonomy notation schemas - The theory of taxonomy and uses in the real world
- About using services (remote taxonomy servers) as a source for taxonomy import
PHP4 is no longer supported in the dev branch. Old compatibility code is being removed. PHP4 just doesn't do XML very well.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Unknown
- Module categories: Import/Export, RDF, Taxonomy
- Reported installs: 1,833 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 38,858
- Last modified: December 2, 2014
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.