Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
This module provides a way to enforce restrictions on user passwords by defining password policies.
A password policy can be defined with a set of constraints which must be met before a user password change will be accepted. Each constraint has a parameter allowing for the minimum number of valid conditions which must be met before the constraint is satisfied.
Example: an uppercase constraint (with a parameter of 2) and a digit constraint (with a parameter of 4) means that a user password must have at least 2 uppercase letters and at least 4 digits for it to be accepted.
A version for Drupal 8 has been released for feedback. Constraints are now plugins. Please see the example constraints bundled as submodules to this release. Formal documentation will soon follow.
Current constraints include:
- Character types
- Letter/Digit (Alphanumeric)
- Digit placement
- History (checks hashed password against a collection of user's previous hashed passwords looking for recent duplicates)
The module also implements a password expiration feature. The user is forced to change their password and is optionally blocked when their old password expires.
Administrators can force specific users or entire roles to change their password on their next login and can make a password tab available to users instead of the usual user/#/edit page for password changes.
7.x-2.x is a major rewrite to include several of the features most lacking from 7.x-1.x: natively exportable configurations, cleaner administrator UI, and easier implementation of your own policies in other modules. Features requests for should be made against this branch instead of 7.x-1.x.
Password policies only apply to passwords set via user forms in the web interface. Passwords changed by other means (Drush, web services, etc.) may not be subject to password policy constraints. Please see the following issue if you would like to contribute to removing this limitation:
- Maintenance status: Seeking co-maintainer(s)
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Security, User Access & Authentication, User Management
- Reported installs: 28,290 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 346,766
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: March 13, 2016
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.