On May 26th 2011 a new EU originated law came into effect that requires website owners to make significant changes to their sites and may fundamentally change the whole web browsing and shopping experience for everybody.This Cookie Law is amended privacy legislation that requires websites to obtain informed consent from visitors before they can store or retrieve any information on a computer or any other web connected device.
- Compact pop-up with dark and light colour themes.
- Prevent users logging in until cookie consented.
- Other modules can integrate with cookie callbacks (see below).
- Configurable message and read more message.
- Only apply cookie consent restrictions to specified countries or whole world.
3rd Party Module Support
A sub-module is bundled with Cookie Control which will disable Google Analytics from tracking a visitor until they give consent. Upon accepting cookies their first visit will be logged, along with any further page loads.
The cookie_googleanalytics.module also acts as an example of how to add support to your own Drupal module project.
- CookieControl.cookieLawApplies(): This function checks if the cookie Law applies to the user that is accessing the site based on their location.
- CookieControl.consented(): This function checks that the user has consented to getting cookies.
- CookieControl.maySendCookies(): This function is a combination of the first two checks. Furthermore, this function will be updated as the law changes to include all the checks that are needed in order to set a cookie and therefore it is the one that is recommended to be used when checking if cookies can be set.
Please ensure that the Cookie Control script has loaded before these functions are called.
What about Drupal 6?
The Cookie Control user interface requires a minimum of jQuery 1.4.4 which is not supported for Drupal 6.
- Maintenance status: Seeking new maintainer
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Commerce/Advertising, Third-party Integration, User Access & Authentication
- Reported installs: 5,060 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 27,802
- Last modified: July 4, 2016
- Stable releases for this project are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.