The Alchemy module provides several interfaces for analyzing site content via the Alchemy services API.
What is Alchemy?
AlchemyAPI provides content owners and web developers with a rich suite of content analysis and meta-data annotation tools.
AlchemyAPI uses statistical natural language processing technology and machine learning algorithms to analyze your content, extracting semantic meta-data: information about people, places, companies, topics, languages, and more.
Expose the semantic richness hidden in any content using named entity extraction, phrase/term extraction, document categorization, language detection, structured content scraping, and more. Use AlchemyAPI to enhance your website, blog, content management system, or semantic web application.
- from alchemyapi.com
What does that mean?
Alchemy does several things, but this module currently concentrates on Alchemy's term extraction tools:
- Keywords: This tool extracts keywords from node and page content, similar to the Yahoo! Term Extraction API but provides higher quality keywords that are more useful for SEO
- Entities: This tool extracts terms related to people, companies, organizations, cities, geographic features, etc - similar to Open Calais
- Concepts: Similar to keywords, but capable of abstraction and understanding how concepts relate and tagging accordingly. E.g. "Hillary Clinton + Michelle Obama + Laura Bush" == "First Ladies of the United States"
Alchemy has other tools, but quite frankly, were not sure the best way to use them. So for now the module is primarily an advanced term extractor. (If you have ideas on how to use Alchemy's other tools, submit a feature request.)
The package comes with the base API and interfaces into three tagging related modules:
- Content Analysis (D6 & D7): allows you to analyze nodes, urls and freeform content and displays terms. Can be used in conjunctions with Keyword Research to tag nodes and build lists of targeted site keywords.
- Autotagging (D6): Automatically tags nodes with keywords from Alchemy when nodes are submitted. Great for the effort challenged.
While the main Alchemy module does not depend on any other module, you will want to interface with at least one of the three modules listed above or you will need to program your own interface.
In order to use this module you will need a Alchemy API key which you can get for free by registering here.
You will also need to download the Alchemy SDK an place it in the sub-directory "AlchemyAPI" inside the root Alchemy module directory or if you have the Libraries module installed, in the libraries directory.
Requirements & recommendations
- Alchemy API SDK (for PHP)
You will likely want to use at least one (or maybe all three) of the following modules to interface with Alchemy's data.
- Keyword Research - integrates term research tools to qualify keyword value for search engine optimization
- Drupal SEO Tools - Complete content optimization suite. Streamlines installation and configuration of multiple modules.
- Intelligence - Extends Google Analytics tracking and integrates graphical reports into Drupal admin. Provides node level metrics scorecards and detail reports.
This module is sponsored and developed by LevelTen Interactive. LevelTen is a full service interactive agency focused on building online brands by integrating digital strategy, Drupal development and online marketing. For more information, please contact us, or feel free to connect on Twitter and Facebook
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Content, Taxonomy, Third-party Integration
- Reported installs: 6,819 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 47,169
- Last modified: December 2, 2014
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.