Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2010-043
- Project: Wordfilter (third-party module)
- Version: 5.x, 6.x
- Date: 2010-May-12
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
The Wordfilter module implements an input filter that rewrites content to remove improper or foul language. Wordfilter does not sanitize the list of words that are filtered along with their replacements, allowing users with permissions to manage the list of banned words to insert arbitrary HTML and script code. Such a cross site scripting (XSS) attack may lead to a malicious user gaining full administrative access. This vulnerability is mitigated by the attacker needing the "administer words filtered" permission in order to exploit it.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Wordfilter module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use Wordfilter module for Drupal 5.x, update to Wordfilter 5.x-1.1.
- If you use Wordfilter module for Drupal 6.x, update to Wordfilter 6.x-1.1.
See also the Wordfilter project page
- Jeff Warrington (jaydub), module co-maintainer.
The Security Team for Drupal can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the form at http://drupal.org/contact.