Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
I have seen people having trouble install multiple sites from a single codebase.
That is why I have posted this.
Pros of a multisite installation:
•Less room taken
Cons of a multisite installation:
•You need certain features not all hosts have
I hope this helps.
1. If you don't have an FTP client, get one, or use the one you have. For Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later, use Cyberduck, and you see the website at http://www.cyberduck.ch, and download it at http://cyberduck.ch/Cyberduck-2.5.5.dmg. For Windows, use Firezilla, at http://firezilla.scourceforge.net, and downloadable at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/filezilla/FileZilla_2_2_19.zip?download.
2. With your FTP client, connect to the FTP server.
3. Install Drupal in the main directory of your site. In this example, we'll say this is in the main directory, or /main. For those of you that don't know, / seperates directories, and the directory
/ is the directory that you first see when you log in to FTP, also called root.
4. Using whatever service you host has (e.g. CPanel, 1&1 Control panel, ect.) create the subdomain you want(In 1&1, you will need to change the destination.
5. Using your FTP client, look for the folder that your host created. Here we will assume it is /subdir
6. Open up your shell program. On Mac OS X, it is the Terminal. I'm not quite sure as to wat it is on Windows, because I don't use it, but I'll find out.
7. Into the shell, type
ssh <i>your ssh username</i>@<i>your web url (e.g. example.com)</i> Then press the key enter.
8. You will then be asked to type in your password, so type in the password for your ssh account
9. Now type in
ln -s /main <i>(or the folder that your Drupal installation is in)</i> /subdir <i>(or the folder that your subdomain is in)</i>
10. Now in the Drupal installation, copy the settings.php file in sites/default to sites/your subdomain.your domain name.com
Now you are finished!!
I hope I made the instructions clear and easy.
Please post comments saying if I got anything wrong.