Note: This is a duplicate issue. Seefor the current status of Views in Core.
Views, is currently the most installed module. It counts ~210k installations for D6 (~80%) and another ~260k for D7 (~60%) with a total of ~470k installations. D6 + D7 installations count a total of ~700k, which takes the percentage of Drupal sites using Views to a ~70%.
- So, why put 7 out of 10 users through the trouble of downloading and installing this module? It should instead be in core and all users would have to do is enable it.
- We could convert most of the core admin UI in views and get rid of duplicated code.
- We could convert some core modules to views (blog/forum/?)
- While we could clearly benefit if Views functionality was added in Drupal core, there is also concern that if Views moves in core, its progress will slow down to a stall.
- There's also concern that we'll bloat core if we keep adding functionality that is already available in contrib.
Perhaps we should move the "core" Views as an API in Drupal core and leave the heavy UI in contrib. If there is need for a UI in core too, then perhaps we should consider doing something really basic. The contrib module SimpleViews is an excellent prof of concept that we can have a minimal UI in core:
- Get this feature request approved ;)
- Figure out the specifics, turn this into a meta-issue and split tasks to separate issues
Discuss more. In this issue here and in the Views Developers discussion of Views in Core.
User interface changes
- The core admin UI might be converted to views where applicable (with whatever changes this implies).
- There might be a minimal UI for creating basic views in core.
Original report by Pasqualle
I am interested about the plans including views in Drupal core.
Is there anything planned for Drupal 7?
Which parts of views would be good to include in core?
What is the status of this issue?
Any links to discussions, issues, documentation?
Please keep this issue open and updated.