In this section you will learn how to set up a local test site on your Windows box. You will need to do two things on your computer:
- Install the software that Drupal needs in order to run.
- Install Drupal itself.
You can do both of these at the same with an installer that includes Drupal, or you can install each piece of software individually.
Installers that include Drupal.
These installers, in one package, include Drupal and all of the other software you need to run Drupal on your computer:
DAMP: Acquia (*) Drupal Stack Installer: Includes Drupal, Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
- This handbook's page Drupal 7 - Install and Setup DAMP on your Windows PC or MAC - Video with outline uses D7 as an example, but many details apply to D6 as well.
- Use Acquia DAMP stack for Drupal 7 or any Drupal distro from the 'AcquiaTv' section at acquia.com.
- Acquia 'Downloads' page for Windows, and Mac; D7 and D6.
- The original (year 2000) creator of Drupal, Dries Buytaert, is a co-founder of Acquia.com, and its chief technical officer (CTO).
- BitNami Drupal Stack
First you'll install the software Drupal needs. Several packages exist which install Apache, PHP, MySQL and some other useful components in one easy download. These include the following:
A comparison of many packages can be found at Wikipedia.
Then you can follow the instructions for the Basic installation
Drupal 6.14 and 7 are compatible PHP 5.2 and 5.3
See this page, http://drupal.org/requirements
PHP 5.2 or higher is a requirement for Drupal 7.
There are 2 ways to get version PHP 5.2.9-2 for Wamp or Wampserver2.
• Install the newest WAMP2. Then visit the WAMP addons PHP Versions page, download the PHP version(s) you need or want(PHP 5.2.9-2) and install them. Then you can select the version to run from the WAMP UI by left clicking the Icon > PHP > Version and check mark the one you want. If you change it, restart the server and you will be fine.
• Install an older version of Wampserver. You can find older versions of WAMP5 and WAMPSERVER2 on this page http://sourceforge.net/projects/wampserver/files/ . Just click on WAMP5 or WAMPSERVER2 for the complete file listings.
See more information about different setups in the pages listed below. Some are easy installs with a few clicks, and some are more difficult options where each component (Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc) is installed manually.
Don't know which to choose?
If you are bewildered by all these options, just want some nice easy instructions to follow, go and have a look at Simple install of Drupal on XAMPP. Trying out Drupal on your Windows machine couldn't be easier.