Installing Drupal on Windows for local usage
In this section you will learn how to set up a local test site on your Windows box. You will need to do two things on your computer:
- Install the software that Drupal needs in order to run.
- Install Drupal itself.
You can do both of these at the same with an installer that includes Drupal, or you can install each piece of software individually.
Installers that include Drupal.
These installers, in one package, include Drupal and all of the other software you need to run Drupal on your computer:
Acquia Dev Desktop (formerly knows as Acquia Stack Installer / DAMP): Includes Drupal, Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
- Download from Acquia 'Downloads' page for Windows, and Mac; D7 and D6.
- This handbook's page Drupal 7 - Install and Setup DAMP on your Windows PC or MAC - Video with outline uses D7 as an example, but many details apply to D6 as well.
- Use Acquia DAMP stack for Drupal 7 or any Drupal distro from the 'AcquiaTv' section at acquia.com.
- BitNami Drupal Stack
First you'll install the software Drupal needs. Several packages exist which install Apache, PHP, MySQL and some other useful components in one easy download. These include the following:
- ApacheFriends XAMPP
- AMMPS Stack
- WampServer 2
- Uniform Server
- Web.Developer Suite (commercial product)
A comparison of many packages can be found at Wikipedia.
Then you can follow the instructions in the standard installation guide.
Don't know which to choose?
If you are bewildered by all these options, just want some nice easy instructions to follow, go and have a look at Simple install of Drupal on XAMPP. Trying out Drupal on your Windows machine couldn't be easier.