This thread has been locked. See the new forum guidelines.
Welcome to the 2008 Hosting Evaluations and Recommendations Thread!
As has been tradition for a few years now, this is the thread to post your recommendations and experiences with Drupal hosts.
Before taking the advice of some random stranger, there are a few things to consider:
- How long has the person been active in the Drupal community? Are they a new account making their first post, or a seasoned developer with real experience?
- Do they actually have any Drupal sites running on the host in question? How long have the sites been hosted there?
And here are just a few of the things you should look for in a host:
- Speed! Specifically, database speed. Just logging into Drupal requires over 100 database queries, so SQL performance is critical.
- Reliability: If your site is down, you're losing business. Can the host handle your traffic?
- Shell Access (SSH): While not strictly necessary to install Drupal, having access to a command prompt will make your life much easier.
- PHP5 Support: Drupal 7 will require it, so if you plan on upgrading, make sure your host supports it.
- Usage Policy: Watch out for hosts that place restrictive limits on things like number of SQL queries per hour. These limits are often buried deep in the host's AUP, so read it carefully.
- Multi-site and Clean URL Support: Both very useful and very important features of Drupal. Most Linux-based hosts support these.
My personal recommendation:
So, which Drupal Host do I recommend? AN Hosting!
But can you trust me? Well, I'm no stranger to the Drupal community, I've been developing with Drupal since 2006, I'm a member of the Drupal Association, I run a number of Drupal-powered sites include Blamcast, Drupal Modules, and HighQualityPosters (all hosted on AN Hosting), and I developed one of the most popular Drupal themes in use today. I've also designed custom sites for many clients, including the Univeristy of British Columbia (also hosted by AN Hosting).
And what about AN Hosting? I've been using them for over a year now, and I host all my Drupal sites with them. I trust them to keep my business online. As an entrepreneur, my business is my primary source of income, so if AN Hosting was anything less than excellent, I wouldn't be using them.
As for the technical side, AN Hosting has everything I need. Fast servers, fast SQL queries, full SSH and FTP access, multiple sites on one account, no sneaky SQL query limits, Drupal's clean URLs work out of the box, and they have reasonable prices. Plus they have a 24/7 1-800 number support and better uptime than any host I've ever used before. I've written a full review if you want to read more about my experience with them.
And here's a brief list of places I don't recommend: Dreamhost (chronic SQL slowdowns brought my site to a crawl), Site5 (limit of 3000 SQL queries per hour is far too low for Drupal), and Siteground (lots of horror stories, just search the forum).
So now it's your turn: Got a story to share, a host to recommend, or a question to ask? This is your thread, go for it!