Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-028
- Project: Hierarchical Select (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x
- Date: 2012-February-29
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
The Hierarchical Select module provides a "hierarchical_select" form element, which is a greatly enhanced way for letting the user select items in a taxonomy. The module does not sanitize some of the user-supplied data before displaying it, leading to a Cross Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability that may lead to a malicious user gaining full administrative access.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that the attacker must have a role with the 'administer taxonomy' permission; specifically he must be able to create or modify vocabularies and then modify the vocabulary's help text.
- Hierarchical Select 6.x-3.x versions prior to 6.x-3.7.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Hierarchical Select module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Hierarchical Select module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Hierarchical Select 6.x-3.8
See also the Hierarchical Select project page.
- Wim Leers the module maintainer
- Stéphane Corlosquet of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.