Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
Last updated October 13, 2016.
- Do try to keep your questions in the main channels. We all learn from your questions.
- Do minimize the personal chatter in the main channels. Take personal conversations to a private channel, such as instant messenger / Skype / IRC private message ("pm") / etc.
- Do mention which Drupal version you are running (or if applicable, server/hosting environment).
- Do stay if you can. Ask a question, answer a question.
- Do say thank you and/or award some karma(do appreciate) points to the person(s) that helped. username++
- Do try to preface your comments/responses with the username of the person helping you. (e.g. username: thank-you).
- Do remain patient when waiting for a response. Not everyone is watching the stream at all times.
- Do share any knowledge you gain by adding some info to Drupal's documentation or forums.
- Don't be lazy; read the documentation or do a Google search before posting your question.
- Don't be afraid to ask 'stupid' questions. (See above first though)
- Don't ask to ask. Just ask.
- Don't just say, "My Drupal site isn't working". Be precise.
- Don't just ask if someone has used x or y. Ask something specific about x or y.
- Don't target any one user that was kind enough to help with a previous question.
- Don't ask, "Why is my question not being answered?".
- Don't private message (pm) someone without asking permission first in the main channel(s).
- Don't expect to have your hand held through an entire process. Expect to be pointed in a certain direction.
- Don't be a Help Vampire.
- Don't use foul language. #drupal channels are a professional atmosphere.
- Don't stalk people outside IRC for extra personal help.
- Don't be demanding. Nobody is paid for helping you. We are all volunteering to foster the Drupal community.
- Don't crosspost your question in several channels simultaneously (this includes forums, issue queues and Drupal Stack Exchange).
- Don't repeat your question because no one is answering you. Be patient. Repost if significant amount of time has passed.
Don't paste code directly into IRC. You can use https://www.pastery.net or http://kopy.io to share code snippets via the web. Please avoid using pastebin.com because of their excessive advertising. Type
paste?in IRC for more info.
- Don't post elaborate questions. If you have an extended question post it to the Drupal.org Forums and link to it in IRC
- Don't send uninvited private messages to users. It is a courtesy to ask a user if you may engage in a private discussion before sending the PM.