Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
As maintainer of Tabs I plan to deprecate it for Drupal 7 in favour of tabs support in the Elements module, see.
- There's nothing special about tabs--they should be handled in a manner parallel to that of other UI elements like accordions etc.
- Elements should follow Drupal core where possible. In the case of tabs, there are vertical tabs in Drupal 7 core so a Drupal 7 version of horizontal tabs should closely emulate what's in core, for a parallel developer experience.
- Providing a tabs element in Elements could enable, e.g., integration modules for panels, views, etc. that are not specific to tabs but can work across a range of elements.
- The draft vertical tabs implementation for Elements is bare bones and simple, meaning it should be easy to maintain.
- I wrote tabs module for Drupal 4.6 IIRC and no longer provide more than minimal maintenance. No one else has stepped forward to take over. Much better a simple, stable UI element than a more complex and buggy one.
- The extras that tabs module adds - e.g., navigation buttons between tabs - would be better generalized to apply across element types.
Implications would include:
- Tabs no longer based on jQuery UI. See .
- Work needed to get the horizontal tabs element into Elements.
- D7 versions of modules building off of tabs would require Elements instead of tabs and need updating to the vertical tabs structure. Ideally, modules like views_tabs and panels_tabs_style would be renamed and rewritten to support multiple element types.
- Some functionality would disappear, e.g., navigation buttons on tabs.
Please comment in this issue if you have thoughts. Thanks.