Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
This module allows you to import or export taxonomy from or to a CSV (comma-separated values) file or with a copy-and-paste text.
It helps you to quick import a non-standardized vocabulary, for example an old thesaurus, a hierarchical taxonomy or a simple list of children, synonyms, descriptions, weights or related terms to terms. It can be used as a module or as an API with a plug-in mechanism. It can manage internationalized vocabularies with i18n_taxonomy, a submodule of i18n module [Drupal 7 only].
Taxonomy CSV supports drush: you can import/export taxonomies from the command line interface with
drush taxocsv-import and
What you can do
- import common field types.
- import repeatable fields.
- import a hierarchical (tree) or a polyhierarchical vocabulary.
- import translations.
- import your hierarchical tree structure and your fields simultaneously (7.x-5.11-dev).
- export names, fields, tree, translations... to a csv file.
Update of vocabularies
Taxonomy CSV supports update of vocabularies, so you can combine import formats to get what you need. For example, if you want to import a tree structure in three languages with a full Translate internationalization mode,
- first you import the tree structure with the first language,
- second you import the structure with the second language,
- and finally you import the translations set.
- Use of the module as an API
This module can be used as an API, but Taxonomy Builder API can be more convenient in some cases. Choice depends on your needs. Taxonomy CSV is designed as a run-once module with checks and multiple formats, while Taxonomy Builder is a permanent, light and quick module. A full explanation of the differences in design can be found here.
- Basic plug-in mechanism (Drupal 6 version only, and old versions for Drupal 7 [7.x-5.3 to 7.x-5.9])
Taxonomy CSV has a basic plug-in mechanism, available since 6.x-5.3 version, which allows to create new import and export schemas (order of items on a csv line). Look the two default plug-ins for (geotaxonomy (disabled) and Taxonomy manager). This mechanism has been removed in Drupal 7 [since 7.x-5.10], because Fields can be used.
- Note: Management of taxonomies has changed in Drupal 7
Synonyms and related terms have been removed and replaced by Fields.
Taxonomy CSV is a specialised tool which allows precise tuning. It's designed to be used when the website is building. After that, it's recommended to disable it. Some other modules allow to import and export taxonomies:
- Taxonomy xml is perfect for standardized taxonomies and vocabularies importation. Despite its name, it can import csv files too, but only if they are ISO 2788 formatted formatted (triples). It can import csv tree structure too (6.x-2.x release only).
- Migration modules can import/export taxonomies too. See this page and this page.
- Taxonomy manager
- For export, you can use Taxonomy XML too or some specialized tools: Taxonomy export, Exportables, or one of backup modules too.
- Increase speed of Taxonomy CSV for Drupal 7
- Import by tid (Taxonomy CSV for Drupal 6)
- Internationalization of Taxonomy CSV for Drupal 6 (on request)
- Combine tree import with translations
- Polyhierarchical export
- Support of Location
- Support of Title
Use at your risk. It's always recommended to backup your database so you can roll back if needed.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Drush, Import/Export, Taxonomy, Utility
- Reported installs: 15,492 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 231,773
- Last modified: December 2, 2014
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.