The TARDIS is a module that allows users to go back in time and visit nodes from the past. You can see nodes per year and month, using a block that creates links automatically, and an optional page that displays node teasers filtered in the format YYYY/MM.
This module has plenty of options available:
- Custom TARDIS address which can have more than one part, like example.com/recent/nodes.
- Choose between month numbers or names.
- Custom link redirection (if you'd rather link the months in the TARDIS block to your view!)
- Months can be displayed as a nested list, an accordion, or simple month/year titles.
- And more!
Huh. So it's like an archive module?
Good question - glad you asked! The word "archive" is somewhat misleading, since users sometimes think it means "ability to create zipped files". Not this module: it's meant to create lists of nodes organised by year and month. That's why it's named after the real TARDIS from Dr. Who, which is a time machine.
(Trivia: The name TARDIS means "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space".)
But you can do that with Views. Easy-peasy.
No, you can't. Views leaves you stuck with something like example.com/news/200110. Pffft. Not very good SEO (Also, try reading that fumbled sequence of digits).
Not only that, but it was really hard to create a list of years and months with links to nodes... Until now.
Ok, so why not name it something like "Monthly archive by node title"?
Boooring. And nearsighted: in the near future, the TARDIS will be much more precise, giving you the ability to travel to a specific fortnight or week.
Also, unlike vanilla archive modules, the TARDIS is able to visit the future!
No, it's not. I haven't created any nodes yet!
Well, of course. The TARDIS module can't visit the future of your website - that belongs to you! But I did visit the future of the TARDIS module itself and fetched a nice list of amazing features... check it out below.
Internationalization integration for visiting nodes anywhere in time and space!done! Date integration: For filtering any date field, not just node published dates.done! Token integration: So you can customise month links and page titles to your liking.done! Ability to create multiple blocks and/or pages.done! Look in version 2. Display suite integration: For displaying nodes using any view mode, not just teasers.done! (Technically you don't need DS unless you want to create view modes but anyway)
- Entity integration: So you can fetch not only nodes, but users, comments, you name it!
- Custom pager based on months and years.
- Filter nodes weekly and bi-weekly.
- Views integration: month and year contextual filters. Tricky business.
It's a pretty dauting feature list, but I'll make it happen!
The TARDIS module is both my helping hand to those who just can't set up YYYY/MM structures in Drupal, and my long overdue thanks for the amazing community we have here in Drupal.org.
So download the module, use it, and let me know what you think. :) Have a nice time travel!
Note: sonic screwdriver not included.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Reported installs: 65 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 3,453
- Last modified: 8 February 2016
- Stable releases for this project are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.