Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
I hate to start a new issue on google.inc, but looking at the others I didn't see one that really related and I didn't want to hijack another issue.
Since the a few of names generated by the Drupal API and those from Google don't match, there are a couple of hacks to make them line up properly. Those may need some tweaking down the road if Google or Drupal adds/changes names that don't match properly.
Also, the function requires an external feed parser that I found here and I've attached that file for convenience. It should be placed into the geocoding folder alongside google.inc.