Issues to complete

The following are issues that MUST be completed before a release of the type it's under can be made:

Beta

RC (Release Candidate)

  • TBD

Stable

  • TBD

Comments

ajayg created an issue. See original summary.

markcarver’s picture

Because I imagine we all became rather busy when D8 came out (or at least I know I was with #2609316: Port Bootstrap to Drupal 8).

8.x also doesn't require jquery_update, which probably has severely hurt this project's "productivity".

Not saying it's right, but just trying to perhaps explain a little?

ajayg’s picture

Thanks for your note markcarver. I totally understand it.
We all get busy and it was a subtle reminder, may be it is time for the next release :)

Now that patch for 1.12 is committed, What is remaining to make a new release?

markcarver’s picture

Title: Why not release 3.x » [jquery_update] 7.x-3.0 stable release
Category: Task » Plan

What is remaining to make a new release?

I imagine we should probably repurpose this issue as a plan.

Any person willing to help groom the IQ would be a huge help.

All CNR/RTBC/Fixed/Fixed (closed) issues linked to this one so we can get a sense of what is truly needed to move forward.

amme’s picture

amme’s picture

amme’s picture

ajayg’s picture

My sincere apologies. Wanted to add both RTBC issues Implement a permission for settings form(2621436) and Alternate theme verions loaded even if the user has not the "View the administration theme"(2426847) as child issue but mistakenly added as related issue.

ajayg’s picture

Here is a suggestion.
1. Since the last Jquery update (alpha3 ) was almost 1.5 years ago, let us create alpha4 with what is already committed since then, it will get out and tested. It will also get jquery 1.12 support which is already committed and lot of sites can benefit from that.

2. And work on next beta version with only exiting RTBC patches to keep scope limited.
3. Then we can decide the absolute must patches/issues that need to be fixed for 3.0 release.
I am afraid, if we start adding more issues , the scope will change and it will further delay the release.

markcarver’s picture

markcarver’s picture

There's no point in doing a 7.x-3.0-alpha4 release yet as there's only been one (recent) commit since alpha3: http://cgit.drupalcode.org/jquery_update/log/

That's why this issue exists, to determine what all the issues are and then figure out what needs to happen for a full stable release.

This includes making smaller alpha/beta/rc releases along the way before a full stable.

ajayg’s picture

That one issue is support for jquery 1.12 which is very significant, that is why I suggested. But I see your point,

markcarver’s picture

Status: Active » Needs work

Ok, I've cleaned out the IQ (down to a single page!).

Older 5.x and 6.x issues I simply closed as outdated (there were a LOT of these).

The remaining 7.x issues I went through and either:
- closed as outdated (>= 2 years)
- closed as dups of other issues or
- closed as generic "X doesn't work with X" jQuery version compatibility issues which can now be fixed by the jQuery Migrate plugin.

The rest I updated to be 7.x-3.x are mostly related to this issue.

I don't have the time right now to actually start working on some of these issues, but feel free to pick through them and start providing some patches.

When I have the time I will review and commit what I can.

markcarver’s picture

Issue summary: View changes

Ok, I committed quite a bit today actually, but that's about all I can do for now. I'll create an alpha release shortly.

I believe that before even a beta release can happen, we will definitely have to have #1869928: Better CDN/API/automation support in it as this will be a complete architecture change.

I've updated the issue summary with this.

markcarver’s picture

ajayg’s picture

Thank you so much @markcarver. Great to see alpha4 is out which has support for latest versions of Jquery which should address needs for many website owners.

Does 1869928 really needs to be part of 7x-3.x Beta release? Usually changes big as this may need its own version. Since we have made so much progress on 3.x , would you consider getting it out (without 1869928) and then tackle it in 4.x perhaps? Given the very large user base of this module, adding more dependency on other modules will create more issues IMHO in future. We can still address those but why increase scope for now?

markcarver’s picture

Does 1869928 really needs to be part of 7x-3.x Beta release?

Yes.

Usually changes big as this may need its own version.

Which is why 7.x-3.x was created. This branch is still in the alpha stages. If we had already released a beta, I might agree with this statement. However, adding new features and/or changing fundamental architecture is relatively OK in this stage.

Since we have made so much progress on 3.x , would you consider getting it out (without 1869928) and then tackle it in 4.x perhaps?

No.

I think you're forgetting why this issue exists. It exists because we need to make a plan for what a "full stable" is going to actually look like. This is part of it.

It also needs to happen because of the issues that #1857042: [jquery_update] 3rd party libraries raised.

Supporting committed 3rd party code (that is and can be found elsewhere) is not within the scope of the 7.x-3.x branch.

It's only currently committed to this branch because it inherited it from the 7.x-2.x architecture.

It's still built in a way that adding new "versions" of anything requires manually adding even more 3rd party code.

We each increasing version, we're continuing to bloat this project.

Does anyone really need every single version of jQuery in their codebase?

No.

Given the very large user base of this module, adding more dependency on other modules will create more issues IMHO in future. We can still address those but why increase scope for now?

We're not going to add any dependencies to other modules. I was merely linking those modules (in #1869928: Better CDN/API/automation support) because they do exactly what we need/want... that's all. Whatever is implemented will likely have to work in a standalone fashion.

ajayg’s picture

It's only currently committed to this branch because it inherited it from the 7.x-2.x architecture.

I see what you mean. I was not aware of this legacy. I was also thinking the longer it waits for 3.x release, the longer you have an version without any security review. Yes we all know people should not use that for production sites. But given 2.7 was out in Oct 2015 many don't have any choice but to install 3.x as other modules that depend on latest version of Jquery may need this. my 2 cents for whatever they are worth.

ajayg’s picture

Double post due to connection issues. Edited.

markcarver’s picture

I was also thinking the longer it waits for 3.x release, the longer you have an version without any security review.

The sec team doesn't actually review every project's "stable" version. The recent changes in projects simply mean that only the stable version of project gets supported by the sec team. This means that if anyone actually files a sec issue against the 7.x-3.x branch, they'll ignore it until there's a stable version.

But given 2.7 was out in Oct 2015 many don't have any choice but to install 3.x as other modules that depend on latest version of Jquery may need this.

I understand your point of view and can certainly sympathize with the predicament this project has been in over the years.

This is why making a plan for a stable is important. We (the maintainers) need to know what it is we will actually have to support once a stable release is made.

Simple put: maintaining dozens of 3rd party JS files is tedious, time consuming, prone to human error and bloats the file size of the project (compare all past releases).

What we actually need is more people to do the work (not just myself) to get us all to the desired stable release; instead of complaining that there isn't one.

geekamongus’s picture

It would seem that jQuery 1.x and 2.x are no longer maintained, and a known potential exploit will not be getting fixed except for in the 3.x version.

https://github.com/jquery/jquery/issues/2432#issuecomment-290983196

Does/should that change the path of this project?