Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
I'm stoked to the work done here. There has been great work done to support caching blocks in various scenarios; context and panels. This post proof-of-concept is ready for some enhancements. I think with a few more features Drupal we can refine the caching to the point it becomes the standard of implementation. Feature requested - region handling. I have an almost completly functional fork of the module that supports regions. I'm looking how to do a quick and dirty patch. I've had to edit several files, but have largely kept my code separate.
* Extension of admin interface with a list of regions and default caching choices similar to blocks.
* Integration with context. Panels not yet supported as I don't have to support that scenarion
* Some custom handling. We use some blocks that are super blocks of sort - blocks w/in blocks. There are a few other modules that do this and easy to extend support for variable rendering if desired.
* AJAX works, Varnish initial test was good for unauth'd traffinc, but I think there is some VCL tweaking for auth'd to be fully functional.
* Support for nested ESI - Rendered regions check their blocks for . Scenario - Cache $right region but have UberCart's block to be cached for no caching.
Desired features - might open different issue for these
* ESI Implementation in batch / queue. All ESI tags that have identical TTL can be gathered and handled with a single. Say you want the header and footer for one TTL and the right rail for another, along with a block from a separate region. I want to group the requests by TTL in a sort of queue to reduce the number of requests.
* GUI interface of statistic data. Don't know quite what this would do...
I'll have some code to post soon. Anybody interested in helping out to refactor?