Comments

soxofaan’s picture

StatusFileSize
new51.97 KB

in this patch:

  • all occurrences of "captcha" in UI strings changed to "CAPTCHA" (I hope I catched them all)
  • added "CAPTCHA is a trademark of Carnegie Mellon University." to help string at admin/help/captcha
  • cleaned pleonasms like "CAPTCHA challenge"
  • worked a bit on the help strings
RobLoach’s picture

Priority:Normal» Critical
Status:Active» Needs review

Whoa, big patch. I'll take a look over the next few days.

soxofaan’s picture

Whoa, big patch. I'll take a look over the next few days.

Would it be better/easier if I split it out per file?

RobLoach’s picture

Nope! This is good :-) .

soxofaan’s picture

StatusFileSize
new52.39 KB

update of patch (a.o. against captcha.module 1.42.2.28)
just cvs update conflict solving, nothing was added/changed

RobLoach’s picture

Status:Needs review» Needs work
StatusFileSize
new11.25 KB

Some hunks failed with this patch. It might need a re-issue..... The attached file is what was outputed.

soxofaan’s picture

StatusFileSize
new0 bytes

updated patch (against latest version at the time of this writing)

soxofaan’s picture

StatusFileSize
new52.6 KB

previous post had some problem apparently.
this one should do it

soxofaan’s picture

Status:Needs work» Needs review
StatusFileSize
new2.85 KB

Because this issue changes almost every file of the module, the patches in this thread are big.
To make the reviewing/commiting easier and less risky, I decided to split the patches in smaller pieces.

I'll start with the simple ones: the info and install files (see attachment)

soxofaan’s picture

StatusFileSize
new5.94 KB

follow up on #9:
patch for captcha_api.txt

soxofaan’s picture

StatusFileSize
new31.66 KB

follow up on #9:
patch for captcha.module

RobLoach’s picture

Status:Needs review» Needs work
StatusFileSize
new8.44 KB

Yet another overlapped patch ;-) .

soxofaan’s picture

StatusFileSize
new34.08 KB

new version of the patch from #11 (captcha.module)

soxofaan’s picture

follow up on #9: patch for image_captcha.module

wundo’s picture

Priority:Critical» Minor
Status:Needs work» Closed (works as designed)

Sorry, but in my opnion it`s not really an issue.
Setting it as by design.

And I'm sure, this is not a critical task.

Please read my comments in Captcha`s group discution about this topic.

soxofaan’s picture

Priority:Minor» Critical
Status:Closed (works as designed)» Needs review
StatusFileSize
new55.61 KB

I'm reviving this thread based on this suggestion I made in the CAPTCHA group discussion about the renaming issue. I also set it to critical because it has to be resolved before 3.0 final as Rob stated.

This patch not only changes "captcha" to "CAPTCHA", but also replaces it with just "challenge" as much as possible to minimize the typographic noise caused by the uppercase abbreviation "CAPTCHA".

In attachment the big patch (changes in 8 files).
I also made patches per file, but because this bug tracker does not accept zip/tar archives you can download a zip here (temporarily):
http://telin.ugent.be/~slippens/tmp/captcha2CAPTCHA_10_per_file.zip

RobLoach’s picture

StatusFileSize
new54.37 KB

I've reviewed captcha2CAPTCHA_10, and if we're going to be going with this new casing, this patch seems ready. All we need is wundo's thumbs up.

My thoughts:

  • Looks ugly and doesn't seem to fit in the administration page because everything else seems to go with PascalCasing or Title Casing
  • CAPTCHA is the "right" way to refer to the challenges (Wikipedia does it)
  • The way the .NET Framework cases acronyms is that it uses Camel Case, if the acronym is longer than four letters. So we'd have SMS Framework, LDAP, but for CAPTCHA, we'd end up with "Captcha".
  • When you do a Google search for captcha, the majority of results use "CAPTCHA"

.... I think that in the end, we're going to be making the move and we're going to have to do it before 3.0 is released. Even if we don't like its cosmetics (well, I don't), making this change is the "right" thing to do.

One thing I don't like with this patch is the change to "CAPTCHA" in the permissions (admin/user/access), because it changes the API. The attached patch is the same as 10, except without the permissions change.

soxofaan’s picture

One thing I don't like with this patch is the change to "CAPTCHA" in the permissions (admin/user/access), because it changes the API.

I don't consider changing the permission strings as "breaking the CAPTCHA API". I think, in principle, other challenge modules should not use these permissions since the base CAPTCHA module should do all the heavy lifting (sessions, permissions, validation, etc), while challenge modules should just provide a challenge. Are there modules that use these permissions?
Anyway, I just prefer the strings "administer CAPTCHA settings" and "skip CAPTCHA" above the current strings "administer captcha" and "skip captcha challenges", especially since "captcha challenge" is a pleonasm.

RobLoach’s picture

Assigned:Unassigned» RobLoach
Status:Needs review» Reviewed & tested by the community

Got the thumbs up from wundo. I'll be applying the patch at #16 sometime today.

RobLoach’s picture

Status:Reviewed & tested by the community» Fixed

Done... Hopefully there isn't anything else missing for this.

soxofaan’s picture

Status:Fixed» Needs review
StatusFileSize
new4.74 KB

nice!

but I spotted some small remaining issues in README.txt and captcha_api.txt ;)

RobLoach’s picture

Status:Needs review» Fixed

Aye.

Anonymous’s picture

Status:Fixed» Closed (fixed)