At the moment I'm running MAMP Pro, but the setup should work with MAMP free version as well.
Download and install MAMP from MAMP
- Download and install postgres 8.4 or higher from Enterprise DB
- Add the bin directory of postgres, /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin to the PATH in your .bashrc file in your home directory. Remember to run ./.bashrc to update the path.
- Sudo to your root user and execute the following commands. '>' is the prompt on your terminal and should be excluded. Text in () is an explanation and should not excluded.
- > su postgres (log in as the postgres user)
- > createuser --no-createdb --no-password (choose as a super user)
- > createuser --no-createdb ----pwprompt devel (enter a password 'drupal', and choose as a super user, this is if your site is using the standard devel user with password drupal)
- > exit