Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2010-109
- Projects: Embedded Media Field, Media: Video Flotsam, Media: Audio Flotsam (third-party module)
- Version: 5.x and 6.x
- Date: 2010-December-08
- Security risk: Moderately Critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Multiple vulnerabilities
1 - Arbitrary File Upload/Code Execution Vulnerability
The Embedded Thumbnail module (packaged with the project) allows users who upload videos to upload their own thumbnails to replace The Drupal Embedded Media Field module. Unfortunately, the Embedded Thumbnail Module contains a vulnerability that could allow arbitrary file upload, as well as potentially remote and potentially code execution. Malicious users can upload arbitrary files with extensions other than .php, .pl, .py, .cgi, .asp, or .js. Many web servers support legacy PHP extensions not included in this list (such as .phtml, or .php3) which would allow attackers to upload and execute arbitrary PHP code. Attackers could also upload malicious documents or other material with virus payload and use these to attack other users or exploit flaws in file include vulnerabilities. This exploit is mitigated by the fact that the site must have a content type with an embedded media field that allows users to upload custom thumbnails, and the user must have access to create or edit the content type.
2 - Embed XSS Vulnerability
The 5.x-1.x and 6.x-1.x versions of the Embedded Media Field module comes packaged with "custom provider files" that allow users to add audio and video files to their site by posting a link to the direct url of an audio or video the field emfield provides. Unfortunately the Embedded Media Field module contains an arbitrary HTML injection vulnerability (also known as cross site scripting, or XSS) due to the fact that it fails to sanitize user supplied audio file paths and embed codes before display. Please note, recently these 6.x-2.x branch of the Embedded Media Field module, the custom audio and video provider files were moved to separate modules: Media: Video Flotsam 6.x-1.2 and Media: Audio Flotsam. This exploit is mitigated by the fact that the site must have a content type with an embedded media field that has the custom audio or video provider file enabled, and the user must have access to create or edit the content type.
- Embedded Media Field module for Drupal 6.x versions prior to 6.x-1.26 and 6.x-2.4, and for Drupal 5.x versions prior to 5.x-1.12.
- Media: Video Flotsam module for Drupal 6.x versions prior to 6.x-1.2.
- Media: Audio Flotsam module for Drupal 6.x versions prior to 6.x-1.1.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Embedded Media Field module, together with the Embedded Thumbnail Field module or the custom audio and video provider files included in emfield as well as in Media: Audio Flotsam and/or Media: Video Flotsam, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Embedded Media Field module for Drupal 6.x upgrade to either Embedded Media Field 6.x-2.4 or Embedded Media Field 6.x-1.26.
- If you use the Embedded Media Field module for Drupal 5.x upgrade to Embedded Media Field 5.x-1.12.
- If you use the Media: Video Flotsam module upgrade to Media: Video Flotsam 6.x-1.2
- If you use the Media: Audio Flotsam module upgrade to Media: Audio Flotsam 6.x-1.1
- Stella Power (stella), of the Drupal security team