This patch was split off from New module administration page with many new features. It will do the following:
- Create .meta files to accompany each module file.
- Within the meta file, give each module a human readable name and a description.
- Take the module description out of hook_help for each module.
- In the module listing, parse the .meta files rather than loading the entire module file to get its description.
- Paves the way for more sophisticated information kept in module files, which could hold all sorts of benefits in the future, including telling what version of a module you're using, etc.
- Should dramatically decrease the number of people reporting White Screen of Death errors on the admin/modules screen, which anyone who does Drupal support on the forums or IRC will tell you is probably the most common problem. :)
Leaving "active" for now; will mark as "patch (code needs review)" when I get the module administration page parsing as described. I just don't want to lose all this work somehow. ;)