What's new in Features for Drupal 8?
For Drupal 8, we've rewritten Features from the ground up. If you're coming from a previous version of Drupal, you'll find some great new enhancements, but also a familiar user interface for editing features.
Key new features include:
- Purely a building tool. Previous versions of Features included extensive workarounds to make up for the lack of support for configuration export in Drupal core. Now, thanks to the Configuration API built into Drupal 8, we're able to focus exclusively on the task of packaging up configuration--what Features is all about.
- Automatic packaging. Rather than requiring you to manually create individual features, Features analyzes your site and automatically packages up site configuration into a set of features.
- Highly configurable. Practically everything that Features does can be tweaked to your requirements by configuring plugins.
- Interoperability build in. We've made it easier to build features that work well with other feature sets by making feature creation interoperable by default.
- Support for feature sets (bundles). Rather than being limited to the individual feature, Features now supports bundles--sets of features sharing a namespace.