I am a web developer who was looking for a good host to place client websites on Shared Hosting and Virtual Private server packages.
I have profiled a LOT of hosts over the years and have experienced all kinds of service levels and issues related to hosting. My experience goes far beyond just a user with a site and includes everything fro Shell access, MySQL management, INI file edits, and log troubleshooting.
My point is I am not a spring chicken when it comes to using hosting and knowing about their services.
Green Geeks Started out as a good host, but after several years things began to changed on several different client hosted sites. Remember these are all different shared hosting accounts and they are NOT on my Virtual Private Server so the problems cannot be compared.
Green Geeks Issues we have had on multiple sites over the last 3 years:
1. Servers began to continuously slow down in early 2013 and would often timeout completely. This went on for months and resulted in us having to move one site to another host by the summer of 2013.
2.Support told me on 2 different hosting accounts all using a standard WordPress installation that we caused a DDOS attack? We aren't Anonymous over here how did we exactly cause a DDOS attack?
3. Without consultation they installed authentication plugins on our account that did not work well and wouldn't function on tablet and smartphone that severely compromised our ability to access our Administration area for both wordpress and joomla Content Management Systems for the site.
4. We were told that 2 different sites were not optimized even though we spent lots of time and money installing and optimizing cache systems that reduced HTTP requests, resources, and queries to negligible levels. When we asked them to clarify we were offered NO details and told to optimize our site using the same canned response that we received the first time.
5. We were charged for add ons that we did not want (SSL and Static IP Address), This was partly my fault for not cancelling the account right away (Which is buried on their site). Once I submitted a cancellation request they continued to charge us for additional Addons to our account!!! I asked for a refund and they told us Addons are not refundable. Basically taking our money after we cancelled and then refusing to give it back.
6. Finally after we managed to Cancel our account we were told that our site would remain active, and that we would have to submit another ticket to get rid of it otherwise it would remain active till 2016!
7. Out of numerous support tickets over 10 different shared hosting accounts, and 2 different VPS accounts I can say with a high degree of certainty that Green Geeks support system is generally a rapid series of canned responses.
Now here is the rub. All the cheap shared hosting are generally the same. Green Geeks refusing to refund stuff is unique however. I have generally been given a refund by other hosts, even some hosts who have 30 day hosting policies have returned money when asked after the 30 day period.
Green Geeks to date has taken rough $110 dollars worth of payments hostage from 2 different accounts with Add ons. Not to mention about 2 hours of back and forth time with their support system that I wont charge my client for.