On a fresh, no demo install (nothing checked during Kickstart), when I add / delete taxonomy terms in the only available taxonomy vocabulary, nothing happens to the menu.

I'm trying to write a documentation page on recreating the catalog from scratch, or at least using what we have. So I'm going to recommend in the documentation page that the user fix it the way I fixed it:

1) Go here: admin/structure/taxonomy/product_category/edit
2) Select the checkbox "Select to rebuild the menu on submit."
3) Click "save"

Is there any way we could spare the site builders this step?


Members fund testing for the Drupal project. Drupal Association Learn more


joshmiller’s picture

Confirmed this "bug" (that can be fixed by regenerating the menu) exists in a no-demo store with all the kickstart features checked and a full demo store installation.


alexp999’s picture

I think this is actually a bug in the Taxonomy Menu module as I had this on another D7 site, which did not use Commerce, but I had installed that module separately.

joshmiller’s picture

Maybe this is related? #1104028: Option 'Sync menu' in D7

Though, it appears to have been solved after much work.

My implied fix above would be to trigger "menu rebuild" upon installation... But if there is a cleaner "non-workaround" ... that would be great!

marktheshark’s picture

Can someone confirm whether the term reference field in a certain product display content type has to be indexed (see also here) in order for Commerce Kickstart Taxonomy to be able to modify the corresponding view to use for the taxonomy listing (and to be able to set the menu entries pointing to that view page)?

tikiwebsites’s picture

I filed an issue that's either related or is a duplicate of where this conversation headed.

I don't think I tested the previous request #4 properly, but my intuition tells me that the indexing is (or at least should be) irrelevant to the issue. And that is, if I understand it correctly, that they're seeing the same "issue" as me, where newly created taxonomy vocabulary doesn't appear in a menu. Only the default one does relfect changes, after a forced rebuild menu. I don't mind having to rebuild the menu, I just can't believe it's so difficult to get a new taxonomy to appear in the menus!

I share the sentiments that there seems to be some missing piece of the puzzle, possibly relating to views configurations...

GuGuss’s picture

I confirm that the 2.x branch of taxonomy_menu fixes the issue and by using the Default menu path type instead of the Commerce Kickstart Type one (@admin/structure/taxonomy/product_category/edit) !

Maybe we should update the module...

rszrama’s picture

Title: Taxonomy Menu requires full menu rebuild after install to work » Automatically update the catalog Taxononmy Menu after adding new category terms
Version: 7.x-2.0-rc4 » 7.x-2.x-dev
Component: Miscellaneous » Code
Category: bug » feature

I'm going to retitle this issue after seeing this demonstrated in Josh's session at DrupalCamp Austin. Maybe we don't need to do a full menu rebuild, but we can at least invoke the Taxonomy Menu API directly to add the new menu item as a new term is created. I wouldn't update to Taxonomy Menu 2.x until they at least got to beta and ensured there would be an update path from one version to the next.

jsacksick’s picture

Status: Active » Needs review
632 bytes

The attached patch only changes the setting for new installs.
It appears that the default value of the "Synchronize changes to this vocabulary" option is set to 0 even though the UI indicates it's checked, here's a patch that set the value to 1.

jsacksick’s picture

Status: Needs review » Fixed

No feedbacks, I consider this as "fixed", I'll commit the attached patch.

Status: Fixed » Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.