Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
This is a whole proposal for implementing Context and Plug-ins into the configuration system, that would allow among many other things, adding localization plug-ins for the configuration. The main ideas are:
- Extremely simple API for modules to use/create configuration values as everything will be handled by plug-ins and contextual values. Basically the API stays the same as current: config('system.settings')->get('variablename');
- Introduces a Configuration Context (ConfigContext) object that will hold all the 'contextual' data related to a Configuration object (like language, domain or country, just some examples). A configuration object will be linked to a context.
- Languages will be handled by the localization system being a generic ‘Configuration Plug-in’. The config system will provide enough hooks for modules to react on configuration loading / saving and also for altering runtime values depending on 'context'.
- We need metadata about configuration values (hook_config_info?) but only for initial loading and storing of configuration. That metadata must not be needed at run-time.
- The configuration system will handle low level loading and storage, also for special configuration files for arbitrary 'realms' or 'domains', though it doesn't need to be language aware.
2. Contextual configuration,
The whole proposal is documented here