Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
Site content on Julio is organized according to user group. All content belongs to a particular user group, and that will determine where it is displayed on the site. There are four types of content that you can create:
- Announcements - Announcements are short news items related to the user group.
- Events - Events are calendar entries for upcoming user group activities.
- Galleries - Galleries are collections of photos relevant to the user group - see Creating Image Galleries for information on creating galleries.
- Group Posts - Group Posts can be used to display additional user group information.
Announcements, Events, and Galleries will automatically be displayed on the landing page of the user group to which they belong. Group Posts, however, must be linked manually, usually by adding them to a menu, which can only be done by Admins and Content Creators.
How to Create Content
To create new content, you'll click on the link for the type of content you want to create. Below are detailed instructions for creating each type.
Creating an Announcement
To create a new Announcement:
- Go to the user group for which you want to create an Announcement.
- Click the Announcement link at the top of the page.
- On the Create Announcement screen, enter a Title and text for the Body of the Announcement.
- When you are done, you can click the Preview button see what your Announcement will look like, or you can hit the Save button to post it immediately. (You can always go back and make changes later.)
Your Announcement will appear in the sidebar of the user group's landing page.
Note: If you created your Announcement for a Department, Team, or Club, it will also appear on the landing page for Academics, Athletics, or Student Life, respectively.
Creating an Event
To create a new Event:
- Go to the user group for which you want to create an Event.
- Click the Event link at the top of the page.
- On the Create Event screen, enter a Title, Body and Start & End Date for the Event.
- When you are done, you can click the Preview button see what your Event will look like, or you can hit the Save button to post it immediately. (You can always go back and make changes later.)
Your Event will appear in the sidebar of the user group's landing page as well as on your site's Calendar page.
Note: If you created your Event for a Department, Team or Club, it will also appear on the landing page for Academics, Athletics, or Student Life, respectively.
Creating a Group Post
To create a new Group Post:
- Go to the user group for which you want to create a Group Post.
- Click the Group Post link at the top of the page.
- On the Create Group Post screen, enter a Title for the page.
- In the Body section, enter the content you would like to appear on the page. Add as much text as you like.
- You can also add images by clicking the Add Media button to the far right on the toolbar. This window will give you two choices for where to get images (this will look familiar, if you've already created a Gallery):
- On the Upload tab, you can drag and drop files from your computer (or click the +Add Files link to browse for them) and hit the Start Upload button.
- You can also go to the Library tab, and select images to add to your Group Post from among the images that you have previously uploaded to the site. Select the images you want to add (select more than one by holding shift while you click), and hit the Submit button.
- If you want to edit an image that you've already added to the page, right-click on the image and choose Image Properties. (You can also left-click on the image and hit the Image button (which looks like a tiny framed picture) in the middle of the toolbar.) This will give you lots of options for the size, alignment, and spacing of the image.
- Once you've added all your text and images, scroll down to the Belongs To pull-down and check that the correct user group is selected. (It should be selected by default.)
- Scroll to the very bottom of the page and click the Save button to create your new Group Post.
Adding a Group Post to a Menu (Admins and Content Creators Only)
To create a menu link to a Group Post, follow the instructions at Editing User Group and Site Navigation Menus in Julio - add menu links to a user group menu.
Featuring Content on the Homepage (Admins and Content Creators Only)
To feature content on then home page, please see the documentation at Customizing the Home Page of Julio - Adding Content to the Events and Featured News Sections
Managing Your Site's Content (Admins and Content Creators Only)
To edit your site's content, you can always navigate to the content you want to change, and click the Edit tab. Sometimes, though, it's useful to be able to view and edit multiple pieces of content at once.
To manage all of your site's content in one place, start at the Admin Dashboard.
- Scroll down to the Recent Content section, and at the bottom of that section click the All Content link.
- On the Content page, you'll see a table that lists of all of the content on your site. This includes not only Announcements, Events, Galleries, and Group Posts, but also user groups and Basic Pages (like the homepage and the contact page). You have a handful of useful options on on this page:
- +Add Content - Click this link to create new content or user groups.
- Show Only Items Where - Under this heading, you can use the pull-downs and the Filter button to limit the content list below. The most useful option in this section is the Type pull-down. Say, for example, you only want to see the Events that have been created on your site. Choose Event from the Type pull-down and click the Filter button. The page will refresh, and the list will only include Events. To go back to viewing all content, click the Reset button.
Update Options - The pull-down under this heading lets you perform common tasks on multiple items simultaneously. To perform a task, select it from the pull-down, click the checkbox next to the items on which you want to perform it, and then click the Update button.
Here is a quick list of the tasks you can perform:
- Feature this Announcement - feature an Announcement in the Featured Announcements section on the homepage
- Remove from Featured Announcements - remove an Announcement from the Featured Announcements section on the homepage
- Feature this Event - feature an Event in the Featured Events section on the homepage
- Remove from Featured Events - remove an Event from the Featured Events section on the homepage
Publish selected content - publish content that has been saved, but not published
Note: For more information about publishing options, see the
Using Advanced Page Properties section of this documentation.
- Unpublish selected content - unpublish content that has been published (this won't delete the content, it just won't be accessible to anyone but its author)
- Delete selected content - delete content (this will permanently remove content from the site)
- Update URL alias - within Julio, aliases to content are automatically created. If you ever need to update these paths, this option will do it en masses. However, chan ging paths to content can cause complications (hurt search rankings, and cause existing links to break) so use this option sparingly.
Content Table - The table that takes up most of the rest of the screen also has some useful options for managing your content:
- Click on any of the blue headings at the top of the table to sort items by that heading.
- Click on the title of any item to view it.
- Click on the name of an item's author to view their user profile.
- Click the Edit link to edit an item.
- Click the Delete link to delete an item.
One other thing to note about the Content page is that there are two tabs at the top: Content and Media. Click on the Media tab to view your site's media library, which includes all of the images and files you've uploaded to your site. This page also has some useful options:
- +Add File - Click this link to upload new files or images to your media library.
- +Import Media - Click this link to import files into your library from somewhere else on the site. (Very useful if, for example, you've already uploaded an entire directory of files using FTP and now want to add them to Julio's media library.)
- Display as List/Display as Thumbnails - Over to the right, there are two buttons, one with horizontal lines and one with a grid of small squares. Click these buttons to change whether you're viewing your media library as a grid of thumbnails (default) or as a familiar-looking table. The options in the table view are the same as those for the table on the Content tab.