What you will learn from this book
- Build your own modules extending Drupal's core functionality
- Create custom Blocks, Fields, Entities, and more
- Learn how to work with Drupal's hook system
- Explore the major APIs and libraries introduced in Drupal 8 to build successful Drupal websites
- Familiarize yourself with Drupal’s Theming layer and template engine
- Test your code programmatically with Drupal's Simple Test framework
- Develop interactive form-based tools with Drupal's Forms API
Drupal 8 is a free, open source content management system primarily used for the development and management of websites. Comparing it with its predecessor, Drupal 7, Drupal 8 introduces a number of huge architectural changes geared towards better usability, development experience, and cross-platform support, making it the most versatile and flexible open source CMS in the world.
Starting with the basic technologies that drive Drupal, this book will walk you through the architecture of Drupal 8 and its main subsystems and explain how to use its APIs to build your own custom modules.
It then rounds off by giving you an overview of the module porting process and the concept of Profile Installation.
An easy-to-follow yet comprehensive guide full of illustrations, code snippets, and tips with detailed, step-by-step explanations of all the topics to demonstrate Drupal 8’s built-in features and APIs.
Who this book is for
This book is for all Drupal and PHP developers who wish to learn how to develop and customize their own modules to suit their needs and requirements.