This is a port of the README file within the Workbench Module. It may need to be adapted to fit the Handbook style.
In the above scenario, The University is the root element of the hierarchy. All other elements are "children" of this "parent" item. Individual items can themselves have children.
For our University, the following relationship exists:
- Alumni is a child of Students
- Students are a child of The University
When we grant access rights for content editors, we can therefore decide if a user should be able to edit any of the following:
- All content in The University and all its children
- All content in Students and all its children
- Only content in Alumni
In practice, this means that the Dean can have wide authority over that part of the website that she is responsible for, while a student intern might have very limited roles.
In our University, we have three types of web site users:
- Editors are responsible for the entire site.
- Deans are responsible for an entire College.
- Writers are responsible for specific departments.
In this scenario, Workbench Access would be configured as follows:
- Jane Doe, site editor
- Assigned to The University section.