This module was created in response to http://groups.drupal.org/node/3720 and to simulate sealed comments similar to the whisper function at Vanilla and private comments on blogs at wretch.cc
Its just a simple module for sealed comments, so it does not have any of the fancy features proposed in the above discussion.
Guestbook module support now available! Please install guestbook first before enabling this module or you have to run the 6110 update to have the guestbook table altered.
For Drupal 5, if you do not want to mess with your original comments by adding filter tags to them, take a look at the new version in the issues page: http://drupal.org/node/208559 This version requires changing the core comments module but it works much better. Just remember that it has to be updated when Drupal gets updated. It only requires about 2200 bytes of PHP memory on load (great for those with PHP memory limitations by their shared host and do not want another bloated module) and its more efficient..
If you are upgrading to Drupal 6 from the above zip version, do not uninstall but transfer all current sealed data to the new schema by running update.php and selecting the 6000 update. ***IMPORTANT*** There is a bug with RC1 and you would lose all old data in the comments table if you run it! DO NOT run update.php until you have installed RC2. There is no automated transfer for the 5.x-1.x-dev snapshot though, you may have to import manually then uninstall the module before installing the new one for Drupal 6.
Features of 6.x-1.x:
- Option to select default seal setting
- Option to seal comment title
- Option to seal all anonymous comments
- If above option selected, anonymous users who post comments will see their comments as sealed unless unsealed
- Only node authors, comment authors and users with proper given permissions can see sealed comments
- Search results will be properly filtered to display comments that are sealed; all comments are indexed as per normal
Guestbook private entries
- Inherits settings from the sealing of comments
- Ability for admins and authors to seal and unseal entries
- Comments get sealed together with the entry
Limitations of whisper:
- Supports only the core comments module
- Option to seal comments will appear in all nodes which uses the comments form of the comments module
- If you use a module such as Organic Groups that emails comments to users, there may be a need to hack that particular module's code to prevent mailing of sealed comments.
Limitations of 5.x-1.x-dev:
- Input filter has to be turned on for sealed comments
- Any existing comments have to be setup individually after installation
- The database is updated with whisper tags only during first view
(I do not know how the whisper tags can be added to the form values on submit since form_set_value and changing of values directly does not work)
- Uninstall does not remove filter tags from comments
(I am not very sure the best way to implement this, can someone help?)
UPDATE (05 January 2008): Thanks to the Restricted Text module, I found a way to prevent sealed comments from showing by the use of filters. However, subject is no longer sealed due to the text size limitation, may have to improve on implementation.
UPDATE (25 July 2008): Future developments would be for Drupal 6, I have managed to do the module without any hacks, edits or filters to the core stuff and have added an administration page. Module uninstalls cleanly and has only a small memory footprint.