Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
Video Embed field creates a simple field type that allows you to embed videos from YouTube and Vimeo and show their thumbnail previews simply by entering the video's url.
Above on the left is an example of using the video field type (displaying an embedded video as well as thumbnail previews of related videos) and on the right is an example of the wysiwyg integration, allowing you to embed videos into ckeditor.
- Responsive out the box, optionally make your videos scale proportionally to their container.
- Large contrib ecosystem of video providers supported.
- Easily pluggable, write simple plugins to support any video platform or provider.
- Robust URL matching to support an array of possible inputs.
- Display videos in a modal window, with Colorbox support.
- Display thumbnails with image style support.
- Role based autoplay override, allows configured roles to suppress video autoplay.
- Easily overridable embed markup.
- A direct WYSIWYG integration, provided by the video_embed_wysiwyg sub-module.
- Integration with the media_entity module for websites using the media suite of modules.
- Migrations to D8 from D7 as well as the D6 emfield module.
Vimeo and YouTube are provided by default, but a number of contrib modules exist for other providers:
Once a video field has been created, simply configure how it should be displayed using the 'Video' or 'Thumbnail' field formatter. Each of these field formatters contain standard configuration options which allow you to customise how the content is displayed. In the Drupal 7 version 'styles' can be created which control the display for different video providers, however in the Drupal 8 version, the configuration for all the field formatters are standardized across all video providers.
Media Entity Integration
For websites using the media suite of modules for Drupal 8, video_embed_field comes with a media_entity integration. This allows you to create a media bundle specifically for storing embeddable videos and use these alongside your other media bundles.
Video WYSIWYG Integration
If you are not using the media suite of modules, there is a direct integration with the WYSIWYG. To use, make sure you have the "video_embed_wysiwyg" module enabled. Visit "Configuration" > "Text formats and editors" > "Configure" your chosen editor. Then drag the video icon onto the ckeditor toolbar and make sure the "Video Embed WYSIWYG" input filter is enabled.
While other modules provide solutions for storing videos or creating media entities, this module only stores the URL to the video, hosted by external video platforms. Using this information the thumbnail and embed code are derived for display. It's appropriate as a simple, powerful replacement to copying and storing embed codes.
For the Drupal 7 version, see video_embed_field.api.php for information on how to create a video provider. For Drupal 8, you can implement a 'VideoEmbedProvider' plugin to allow other video platforms to be supported. For examples of this, see the plugins directory. More information for developers using the Drupal 8 version can be found here.
For support updating to the latest version on the Drupal 7 version, see the documentation page. All other issues can be reported in the issue queue.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Fields, Media, Third-party Integration
- Reported installs: 66,446 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 267,083
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: September 17, 2016
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.