Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
Open Social - Social Business Software
Open Social is a distribution for building social communities and intranets. The distribution is positioned as the successor of Drupal Commons, taking full advantage of the new possibilities of Drupal 8.
Open Social is made by the same core team that created the award winning, Drupal based social community: 'Greenpeace Greenwire'. Open Social is a complete redesign and rewrite inspired by the lessons learned from this and other community projects.
We recommend using Composer to install Open Social. See download and install instructions at the bottom of this page. Furthermore:
- We develop through Github,
- and use Drupal.org for bugs and feedback, see the issue queue here.
- Here you can find our release planning and roadmap.
- For a quick preview of the project you can check-out the front-end prototype or,
- try a quick installed 24-hours version through Simplytest.me.
- Deploy a 30 day free trial to the cloud with Platform.sh.
- See the user manuals for (end) users, site and content managers
Help wanted! - Contribute to Open Social
"Without Drupal distributions, we won't be able to successfully compete with commercial vendors. Drupal distributions have great potential, but we have to do them right, and we have to figure out how to make them sustainable." - Dries Buytaert (founder of Drupal)
Why should you get involved? :)
- You can use Open Social for your own projects and clients.
- You give back to the open-source community.
- As a Drupal freelancer or professional you improve your Drupal.org standing
Installation instructions with Composer
You have two options to start using Open Social right away. For the most technically minded you can download Composer and follow the instructions below.
- PHP 5.5.9 or higher
Download Open Social with the following command
composer create-project goalgorilla/social_template:dev-master DIR --no-interaction
Composer will create a new directory called DIR. Inside this newly created directory you will find the html folder with the entire code base of Open Social distribution. You should be able to install it like any other Drupal site by using Drush or through the UI.
Installation instructions with Platform.sh
You can deploy and host your installation through Platform.sh. This makes installing and trying Open Social even easier. Get your free 30 day trail below.
Optionally generate demo content
By following these instructions (Drush support only for now)
More documentation is on our Github wiki. Instructions to install in Docker containers are also available there. For even more elaborate details on using Composer for Open Social read these installation instructions.
Commercial project support
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Reported installs: 404 sites currently report using this distribution. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 26,367
- Last modified: February 10, 2017
- This project is not covered by the security advisory policy.
It may have publicly disclosed vulnerabilities. Use at your own risk!