Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- better support for non-English languages
- support for multilingual search
- cross-language information retrieval (CLIR)
- an easy-to-use administration interface
Search API Multilingual Solr Search for Drupal 8.x is the successor of Apache Solr Multilingual for Drupal 7.x and 6.x.
The projects mentioned above provide a (more or less) easy way to use Apache Solr as a powerful search engine for Drupal. Unfortunately, the only language that works well with them, out-of-the-box, is English.
So if you run a non-English website, you need to tweak all the configuration files by hand or you lose some of the advantages that Solr provides compared to Drupal's built-in database-driven search. Doing so requires a deep knowledge of Solr and search technology in general.
The entire process gets even more complicated if you run a multilingual website.
That is why we started thinking about an additional module, to hide most of the complexity from a Drupal website's administrator.
- Stop Words
Words you want to exclude from your search index are called stop words. The list of words strongly depends on the focus of your website and, of course, on your site's language.
Every word in the search index is stored in a reduced form called a word stem. This strategy enables the user to find content, independent of the key word's inflection, e.g. singular or plural. Unfortunately, the stemming algorithm is different from language to language.
- Protected Words
In some cases, you'll want to exclude certain words from the stemming described above. These protected words are language-specific, like stop words.
- Compound Word Splitting
Languages like German frequently combine words (e.g. "Dampfschifffahrt"). In order to deal with that problem you need to split such words into parts depending on language-specific word catalogs.
- Spell Checking
No doubt that spell checking should be language-specific.
Search API Multilingual Solr Search
Search API Multilingual Solr Search provides an out-of-the-box solution to language-specific problems (described above) or supports the site administrator by providing a user interface that hides some of the complexity.
Additionally, Search API Multilingual Solr Search provides a way to offer language-specific searches for different languages at once on multilingual websites. Therefore, Search API Multilingual Solr Search integrates with Drupal's standard multilingual features provided by core modules.
As a special feature, Search API Multilingual Solr Search can be configured to deal with the translations of nodes and entities in general on multilingual sites. That means that you can find content in any language, no matter which language was used to enter the search phrase. It's currently a simple implementation of CLIR, but our plan is to extend this feature.
Drupal 7 is not supported by Search API Multilingual Solr Search. Have a look at Apache Solr Multilingual instead.
- bio.logis offers a comprehensive spectrum of genetic analyses.
- pgsbox.com - Personal Genomics Services
- A video that demonstrates config file creation based on 8.x-1.0-alpha2
- Oct 2013: "Deutsche und mehrsprachige Volltextsuche mit Apache Solr" at Drupal Camp Essen (German slides).
- Sep 2011: "Language-Specific and Multilingual Full-Text Searching" at Drupal City Berlin (English slides).
- Feb 2011: "Non-English and Multilingual Search with Apache Solr Multilingual" at Drupal Dev Days Brussels (English slides).
- May 2010: Apache Solr Multilingual session at Drupal Dev Days Munich (German slides).
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Multilingual, Search
- Reported installs: 159 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 14,254
- Last modified: September 19, 2016
- This project is not covered by the security advisory policy.
It may have publicly disclosed vulnerabilities. Use at your own risk!