Views-backed, AJAX-powered slideshow.
For this tool, each "slide" in the slideshow is one page of one display of one view, and each slideshow can be configured with many view:displays to draw from.
The most obvious use for this is slides which contain a dynamic number of images or content items (i.e. slide 1 contains 1 item, slide 2 contains 3, etc).
For now, this is a Drupal 6 module, but I intend to make it D7 soon, which should not be too difficult.
Use has a few parts; here are the main concepts:
1. Each slideshow is a Block that you create in the admin section /admin/build/views/slideshows
2. In the Block's settings form, you select which displays to use as sources
3. As normal, position the block as you please.
The module then loads 1 page each during the primary page load, and then uses AJAX to load subsequent pages before they are needed.
A few TODOs:
1. Presently the module only sources randomly from the displays, I want it to have user-selectable progression strategies (i.e. sequential, paging, random)
2. I want to offer a very simple "feed"-based option, which loads the full (non-paginated) view of img urls and then handles adding them to the DOM in a reasonable fashion (i.e. before needed for display, not immediately). This could open up the need for user-proided paging strategies (plugins), which would be fun to write.