Important note on the 8.x version
The Drupal 8 version has the same basic functionality as 7.x-1.x. A few things are still missing:
- because Email Change Confirmation is not yet available for Drupal 8, login will be impossible if a user's email address is wrong
- migration from 7.x–1.x is not yet available.
This module replaces the regular Drupal login form with a modification of the password-
request form, to give the possibility to log in without using a password.
Every time a user needs to log in, only the email address is required. The login link will be sent to the user’s email address, and will expire in 24 hours if not used.
Passwordless disables the password-reset form, and changes the relevant settings at admin/config/people/accounts. Uninstalling the module will restore everything to the way it was before (including the settings). It’s also compatible with other login-enhancing modules, like LoginToboggan.
Passwordless disables the password fields in user-registration and user-profile forms, which means that:
- the system takes care of creating a password for new users
- there’s no longer a requirement for users to reenter their current password when they enter a new email address in their profile.
Due to point number 2, Passwordless depends on Email Change Confirmation, at least until is resolved. Make sure you save settings at admin/config/people/email_confirm, including the “From” address, for the module to work properly.
Passwordless settings can be found at admin/config/system/passwordless.
Email Registration is recommended, to allow users to register just with their email address, without providing a user name.
On Drupal 7, enabling HTML5 Tools is encouraged for HTML5 sites, since it allows Passwordless to produce an HTML5-compliant
type="email" field in login forms. Without HTML5 Tools, a regular text field will be produced.
Passwordless follows the idea behind NoPassword, but is all based on Drupal’s native functionality and code.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: User Access & Authentication
- Reported installs: 101 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 5,919
- Last modified: March 4, 2017
- Stable releases for this project are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.