This module allows site builders to set up fine-grained permissions for allowing "sub-admin" users to edit and delete other users — more specific than Drupal Core's all-or-nothing 'administer users' permission. It also provides and enforces a 'create users' permission.
See the README.txt file for a full explanation of the permissions.
UPDATE - there is a new version 2 of the module, which fixes many bugs, including security bugs. The instructions and permissions are a little different. Your permissions should upgrade automatically, but it's important to try it on your test site first, and check the permissions are correct.
The new version is still marked as a Beta as it possibly has introduced one or two new bugs. If you find one, please raise it. The old version is still available for now in case anyone needs it, but bear in mind it has bugs including security problems.
WARNING this module isn't necessarily safe to use with other modules that alter the permissions or interface for user admin - if you try it please test your chosen modules very carefully to see how they work together.
In particular when using this module AVOID:
- Administration Views
- User Protect
Version 2 of the module fixes various security problems in version 1. There is a new version because the instructions and permissions are a little different. Your permissions should upgrade automatically, but it's important to check.
Version 2 of the module was sponsored by AlbanyWeb.
Version 1 of the module was originally written assuming sub-admin users would have the permission 'administer users', which was later discovered to be insecure. This version will be deleted once version 2 is a full release.
If you choose to use this version, you either need to
- grant the sub-admins 'administer users' permissions and trust them not to exploit the insecurity
- leave 'administer users' off, and accept various functions won't work.
Drupal 5.x and 6.x
This module is no longer supported for Drupal 5.x and 6.x.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Administration, Security, User Access & Authentication, User Management
- Reported installs: 6,925 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 25,908
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: January 7, 2015