Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
Is there a reason why users cannot add a picture to their drupal.org profile? groups.drupal.org uses them, but the main drupal.org site does not.
- We allow registered users to upload an image and use it as their profile avatar.
- If no image is uploaded, we use the user's registration email to fetch an avatar from a 3rd party service such as gravatar.com (there's a contrib project for this: http://drupal.org/project/gravatar)
- User can opt-out so that no image is displayed.
This issue is postponed, awaiting the outcome of comment #66 and also this issue which provides mechanism for uploading picture once and then showing it on all sub-sites.
A dev site was set up for this task:
There are concerns of how this will impact performance. We should test this.
If we decide to also support an external social-service-like provider for user profile images such as gravatar.com, we should then perhaps consider a mechanism that stores profile pictures locally too as a fallback for cases when these services are temporarily down, permanently closed or made commercial in the future.
Related contrib projects and issues
...a utility module to allow you to use imagecache(D6)/image derivatives (D7) with external images.
...allows you to set user profile pictures that are consistent throughout your site and allows avatars on the user profile pages, nodes and comments to be a different size.
User interface changes
You can find various mock-ups of how things might/should look in comments bellow. The UI changes will be:
- UI for registered d.o users to be able to upload/set an image as their profile avatar.
- Both anonymous and registered users will see profile pictures of registered users in various places. The following places were suggested so far (but no final decision made yet):
- Issue nodes
- Issue comments
- Forum nodes
- Forum comments
- Documentation nodes
- Documentation comments
- Project node author
- Project node maintainer lists
- Release nodes
- Listings of followers
- User profile page
Original report by Mark Carver
...the original report is the "Problem/Motivation" section above + the suggestion to use http://drupal.org/project/gravatar