In order to conform to the standard date for RSS, it's necessary the date format of: D, d M Y H:i:s T

When Drupal is not configured for English, the above date format produces a non-conforming date for RSS feeds as "Mon" for Monday in English then becomes "Lun" in Italian for example. Ideally, the Date module would provide a number formatted for DATE_RSS, but as there are 500+ issues in the queue, I don't think it's going to be done anytime soon.

Can we look at a way of implementing this feature into Views RSS, allowing for international sites to also use this excellent module?

Here is a quick hack I implimented recently: (the format for the date I am using does not have the time, just the date so I filled in the time with 17:00:00

// Expects a date begining with the formatting: YYYY-MM-DD (2010-10-28)
$timestamp = mktime(17, 0, 0, substr($item['pubDate'], 5, 2), substr($item['pubDate'], 8, 2), substr($item['pubDate'], 0, 4));

$item['pubDate'] = date(DATE_RSS, $timestamp);
Members fund testing for the Drupal project. Drupal Association Learn more


andrewsuth’s picture

Status: Active » Closed (duplicate)

Sorry, mine issue is a duplicate of

eiland’s picture

i feel a bit not too smart, but where did you apply your hack? in the views_rss module?

I tried everything and my view keeps on returning <pubDate>Tue, 2011-07-19</pubDate>
which doesnt validate for the feed, no idea where to change it.

gagarine’s picture

Version: 6.x-1.x-dev » 7.x-2.0-rc3
Category: feature » bug
Status: Closed (duplicate) » Active

I don't think it's a duplicate and it's still present in D7.

MauMau’s picture

Status: Active » Needs review

Here's a quickfix:

Make a template. Mine is


and make it say

print date('r', $row->node_created);

This will probably give you a valid, english RFC 822 compliant date.

If not

setlocale(LC_ALL, "en_US");
print date('r', $row->node_created);
setlocale(LC_ALL, "nl_NL");

might help.

Testing: paste the preview from views into
to check if you're getting RFC 822 right

Further reading:

Juc1’s picture

@ MauMau or anyone - will the template suggestion in #4 work for 6.x-2.0-rc3?


Plazik’s picture

#4 works for me in 7.x.

Juc1’s picture

@ Plazik or anyone - sorry for being thick but does #4 give the entire tpl.php file or just a part of it?


Plazik’s picture

Juc1, it's full tpl.php file.

Juc1’s picture

@ Plazik, sorry is this the entire file??

print date('r', $row->node_created);


Plazik’s picture


Juc1’s picture

OK thanks - but last thing can you please tell me how I work out the name of the template instead of
views-view-field--nodequeue-2--feed-2--created.tpl.php ?

Thank you

Plazik’s picture

Why instead of?
Use the name what Views tell you. My name like this views-view-field--nodequeue-2--feed-2--created.tpl.php

scuba_fly’s picture

Status: Needs review » Fixed
62.88 KB

I got stuck with this issue as well but after setting the field to 'Custom date format' and placing r in the field it now shows up as the RFC822 date-time format and my feeds validates in the w3c feed validator.

So I think you can call this fixed although it would be nice to set it to the english version by default.

For reference I've included a screenshot:
there was a screenshot here

As a site note I'm using Views 7.x-3.5 but I think that it is fixed or can be fixed by using the described method. If not reopen the issue.

Status: Fixed » Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed -- issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
Status: Closed (fixed) » Active

I can not confirm that this is fixed.

It seems to work for the build date of the feed, but not for the pubDate of the feed items.

It may seem to work, if the translated date happens to be the same as the one in English (ie it worked in April for German sites, but stopped in May).’s picture

Status: Active » Fixed

I am not sure why, but it's fixed for me now...

Status: Fixed » Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed - issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.

zarudny’s picture

Status: Closed (fixed) » Reviewed & tested by the community

Solution from # 13 works for me.
I think we have to have it in the module for all non-english feeds by default.

whatdoesitwant’s picture

Solution #13 only applies to entity metadata (dateinformation on the node (created date, edited date). It does not work on date-fields.

FiNeX’s picture

Using 'r' instead of 'D, d M Y H:i:s O' works fine. Thanks.

ciss’s picture

Category: Bug report » Support request
Status: Reviewed & tested by the community » Fixed

Nothing to review. Setting to support request and closing, as this seems to match the conversation and solution.

Status: Fixed » Closed (fixed)

Automatically closed - issue fixed for 2 weeks with no activity.