- Root access to your server. Usually VPS or dedicated servers. It will NOT work on share hosting without root access. If unsure ask your host.
- Filefield 6.x-3.2
- Drupal 6.x
- Ubuntu 8.04.x LTS server edition
- PHP version 5.x
- Apache version 2.x
- Install rel="nofollow">Filefield module.
- Type in the following command line in Terminal to install NANO text editor.
apt-get install nano
- Type in the following command line in Terminal to make NANO create a new empty file title uploadprogress.ini.
sudo nano /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/uploadprogress.ini
Note about above command line: This is the Ubuntu & Debian way of adding a new module. The file uploadprogress.ini will be picked up by PHP.ini. The advantage is that PHP can be upgraded without having to re-edit the default PHP.ini file. Much easier :)
- NANO editor will automatically create an empty file for you. Then will open it.
- Type in the following single line into your uploadprogress.ini file
- On your keyboard press the key CTRL-X to exit NANO.
- NANO will ask “Save modified buffer (ANSWERING "No" WILL DESTROY CHANGES) ?” Type in
Yand press RETURN key.
- Type in the following in Terminal. This will install the PHP developer package for PHP version 5, php-pear, and make.
sudo apt-get install php5-dev php-pear make
- Type in the following in Terminal to install PECL uploadprogress library.
sudo pecl install uploadprogress
- Terminal will output the following error message. Ignore it because you have already added the extension to the uploadprogress.ini file using the Ubuntu & Debian way.
“configuration option "php_ini" is not set to php.ini location
You should add "extension=uploadprogress.so" to php.ini”
- Type in the following in Terminal to restart Apache
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
- Apache is restarting. Wait until Terminal return a blinking cursor. Usually you have to wait up to 2 minutes.
- To test open your internet browser then go to
- Search for Upload progress section. If successful the status reads Enabled (PECL uploadprogress). Next time you upload a file with filefield or imagefield modules you will see a nice upload progress bar.
- That's it. You have successfully installed PECL uploadprogress.