Omega Five for Drupal 8 - (8.x-5.0-alpha7)
Omega Five brings back the ever popular user interface that allows for editing the responsive layout through the theme settings form making it possible for users of ALL abilities to create and adjust a fully responsive theme to their needs.
Omega Five Development Status
The Drupal 8 version of Omega Five has been updated and released as 8.x-5.0-alpha7. There is still much development to be done on the 8.x-5.x branch before things can be considered stable. There will potentially be problems in upgrading from one alpha release to the next without renaming and editing files where structure changes.
Omega Five Features
The current list of features for Omega Five is only a small sampling of the features available. This section will be updated with additional features and descriptions as it nears a stable release for Drupal 8.
- Fully Responsive layout(s) and highly configurable presentation of that layout in each responsive breakpoint.
- Ability for single or multiple layout configurations. You can then select which layout to use on the homepage, individual node types, and for taxonomy vocabularies.
- Create subthemes and clone themes through the Omega interface.
- Features for advanced themers like adding a config.rb or Gemfile to generated subthemes.
- Multiple starterkits to choose from when creating a starting point for your subtheme.
- Layout inheritance in subthemes so you can create a base theme for your project that controls layout and base styles, allowing subthemes to inherit ALL layout configurations from the parent.
- SCSS without the hassle: Don't know what Compass/Sass/Guard/Gobbledeegook is? No problem. Omega can handle the heavy lifting while setting up your subtheme to be ready to use more advanced front end development practices.
Omega Five for Drupal 7 - (7.x-5.0-alpha1)
A solid development release of Omega Five for Drupal 7 is currently available.
Omega 7.x-5.0-alpha1: This version IS ready for initial testing and sandbox development. This version has had little development added to it in some time, and likely will not until after the 8.x-5.x branch is complete, and the 'final' features implemented there can be backported appropriately.
Omega 4 for Drupal 7
Omega 4.x is a base theme framework aimed at themers who want to gain full control over the theme through code, rather than a user interface. If you depend on the user interface you can continue using Omega 3.x.
- Omega 4.x contains a rewrite (cleanup) of all of core’s CSS and many optimizations to the markup generated by core. This backports many of the standards described in the Drupal 8 CSS Standards which make the CSS more performant and much more easily overridden and future-proof.
- The Omega theme provides layouts as a method of managing page templates along with layout specific stylesheets and regions. This allows you to write highly customized layouts that can be contextually switched. You can disable this feature to use the plain page.tpl.php or even use Omega 4.x together with Panels and Panels Everywhere to gain even more control over your pages if required.
- The Omega development extension provides tools for disabling caching, a region demo mode, a browser width indicator, optional integration for LiveReload and more.
- The template.php file can get unwieldy with many (pre)process and theme functions. Omega allows you to manage these in separate directories, with an .inc file for each.
- Omega provides extensive Drush integration out of the box allowing you to quickly generate subthemes with drush omega-wizard, start Compass and Livereload with drush omega-guard and properly manage your theme settings with drush omega-export and drush omega-revert.
- Two bare bones starterkits are provided that contain documentation, best practice file structures for organising your Sass files as well as a Gem- and Guardfile to ease the setup of your project environment using Ruby.
Omega 3 for Drupal 7
Omega 3 is a highly configurable HTML5/960 grid base theme. Each zone (group of regions) can be configured for content first layouts (push/pull classes), hidden at any time and each region can be disabled, resized, and placed easily any way you see fit.
Omega 3 is best suited to those who like to build their themes through the user interface. The theme’s layout can be modified through the theme settings and then contextually changed (different layouts/settings for various portions of a site) through integration with Delta and the Context module.
Omega 3 is currently being minimally maintained (security fixes only). We are currently seeking a maintainer for the 3.x branch. If you’re interested, create an issue in the issue queue.
Documentation & Support
Maintainers (7.x-5.x, 8.x-5.x)
How can you help?
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Reported installs: 85,979 sites currently report using this theme. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 966,696
- Last modified: July 27, 2016
- Stable releases receive coverage from the Drupal Security Team.
Look for the shield icon below.